PB Forum :: Downhill
Riding older DH bikes
Posted: Nov 4, 2015 at 15:14 Quote
photo

I would still race/ride one of these things to this day. Such a well built bike

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 at 15:15 Quote
bowenjaykb wrote:
photo

Those things are wicked overkill, but still bad ass. back when i was racing, they were very common at plattekill

Posted: Nov 5, 2015 at 4:49 Quote
bowenjaykb wrote:
photo

such a beaut. more or less my dream ride right there. Salute

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 at 10:41 Quote
bowenjaykb wrote:
photo

Wow. Are you still riding that to this day? So rare those brooklyns.

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 at 10:44 Quote
PMPN8EZ wrote:
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with riding an older Bike. You just have to make sure it is safe. Old bikes depending on how abused they are might have weld cracks or stress fractures. Karpiels, Intense used to have issues at the welds and Santa Cruz Super 8's broke the rear swing arm at the dropout. I have a 1998 Foes DHS Slammer tube with a 2001 Monster-T 3" Gazzi conversion. Fork has 6.5" rear a solid 8" travel. It was my old race rig and one of the fastest on the east coast back in 2001.
1998 Foes DHS Slammer Crack Frame Lower gusset of Head Tube weld crack
1998 Foes DHS Slammer Crack Frame Bottom bracket right weld crack
1998 Foes DHS Slammer Crack Frame Bottom bracket left weld crack

I went to rebuild it this year after taking a 12 year leave of the DH scene due to injury and noticed 3 weld cracks after i removed the paint. One along the bottom gusset of the head tube and two at the upper welds of the bottom bracket housing. If it can be rewelded professionally I will rebuild it. But I don't think I will be dropping 10+ foot drops on it. I'll just use it for flowwy stuff. If it can't be fixed it will be great wall art.

It hurts to see such a nice frame with cracks

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 at 11:03 Quote
Im actually in the process of building up a ten year old brodie nemesis with parts i have had lying around the house. Will make a good trail beater bike

Posted: Nov 7, 2015 at 12:37 Quote
I'm still riding my old 2007 Trek Session 10..... does the job just dandy......Dead Horse

Last drop off into the arena...

Posted: Nov 8, 2015 at 16:49 Quote
Ride my Mountaincycle shockwave all the time, love it. can't figure out how to post a pic in here.

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 6:07 Quote
StevePark wrote:
Ride my Mountaincycle shockwave all the time, love it. can't figure out how to post a pic in here.
photo

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 14:15 Quote
photo

This is currently in my loft in pieces, every year I say 'this is the year' and I kid myself I'm gonna rebuild it. The matt paintjob was mostly stripped with Nitromors several years go, just the webs in the arches have some old paint in. The bearings are toast as well. I took a while out then had a crap weekend racing it back in '09, put it away and not sat on it since, so aside for the want of new bearings and cleaning it up (still some Dunkeld mud on it) there is nothing wrong with it.

Only upgrades since new were replacing the fugly double drop post and upgrading the E4/Mini to Mono M4's. I also bought another pair of '04 Super T's, upgraded one leg with HSCV and sold the second pair with 2x HSV carts as Juniors (which they technically were by that point). Might have broke the mech and a few hangers as well...

Maybe next year...

Posted: Nov 14, 2015 at 14:29 Quote
boostmad wrote:
Heres my Demo 9 Pro. 2005. Havent ridden her for a few years now as i started rebuilding it and then bought a different bike.

Its had a pretty big colour change now lol

This is how she stood.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/boost1mad/Bike/Specialized%20Demo/DSC_1050.jpg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/boost1mad/Bike/Specialized%20Demo/DSC_1049.jpg
do you still have the demo nine as would be interested to see it as it used to be my demo nine lol

Posted: Nov 14, 2015 at 21:24 Quote
f*ck-thepolice wrote:
bowenjaykb wrote:
photo

Wow. Are you still riding that to this day? So rare those brooklyns.

Yup

Posted: Nov 26, 2015 at 11:10 Quote
Pre powder coat
  Pre powder coat

While everyone is going new, I'm bringing this back to life. Can't wait to get it done.

Posted: Nov 26, 2015 at 18:21 Quote
1999 Balfa BB7 2001 Marzocchi Shiver Nokian Gazzalodi Avocet racing R saddle Michelin dh 2.8 rear tire. This is how she sits today. Awaiting new handlebars stem brakes.

Made some updates to the 1999 Balfa BB7.

Nokian Gazzalodi 3.0 front tire
Michelin 2.8 rear tire
2001 Marzocchi Shiver World cup
1990 avocet racing R saddle (rare)

Brakes being rebuilt not on bike (Hayes mags )

Enjoy

Posted: Nov 26, 2015 at 18:27 Quote
f*ck-thepolice wrote:
1999 Balfa BB7 2001 Marzocchi Shiver Nokian Gazzalodi Avocet racing R saddle Michelin dh 2.8 rear tire. This is how she sits today. Awaiting new handlebars stem brakes.

Made some updates to the 1999 Balfa BB7.

Nokian Gazzalodi 3.0 front tire
Michelin 2.8 rear tire
2001 Marzocchi Shiver World cup
1990 avocet racing R saddle (rare)

Brakes being rebuilt not on bike (Hayes mags )

Enjoy

Those tires are unreal......I'm using some Nokian Gazzalodi's on the PDC but the smaller ones

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022872
Mobile Version of Website