Help me find the right tire!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Help me find the right tire!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 13:20 Quote
I live on the East Coast and ride trails with lots of roots and rocks which are frequently wet though not muddy.The riding tends to be slow and technical. I'm riding a trail bike, Trek Fuel EX 8 with 120mm travel. I have two sets of rims, one running Michelin Wild Racers which I like a lot when things are dry. The other set are Continentals, Mountain King up front and X King Protection,the rocks here are brutal on sidewalls, with the chilli compound. I'm not liking the contis at all.
I'm not sure what this chilli compound is supposed to grip but it isn't roots and certainly not rock. I'm looking to you East Coast riders, but anyone who rides in the woods on wet roots may have some good suggestions. Help me please!

Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 11:51 Quote
What pressures have you tried with the Contis?

Take a look at On-One, most of their tires have a soft compound option:
http://www.planet-x-usa.com/category-s/1938.htm

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 13:48 Quote
I'm still running tubes. Anywhere between 30 to 40PSI. The X king Protection has really hard sidewalls which seem to allow for lower pressures. The sidewalls are great, they do take a lot of abuse dished out by the granite around Halifax, I just don't find they grip well enough. I must admit, I've never heard of On One. I would think the Smorgasbord would be the tire I would choose. Are you running them?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007746
Mobile Version of Website