Possibility of new bike park in North Jersey. Input Please!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Possibility of new bike park in North Jersey. Input Please!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 6:22 Quote
So My company is based in Oakland NJ and we are moving out of our current building that we own. We are keeping the building and looking for someone to move in but that has been very difficult. So when they asked me if i had any ideas on what to do with the place i said that an indoor dirt jump park would be awesome because there isn't anything like that anywhere near us. Also with our location being literally right off a major highway (rt. 287) and a 30-45 min drive from Manhattan, CT, PA, and NY state. I think its a pretty good idea and they are entertaining it as well. The building has a warehouse with heat as well as giant roll up doors to lead outside and expand. I would like to go in the direction of Burlington Bike park. All dirt jumps for different skill levels as well as a little pump track.

Any input would be great, especially anyone who has dealt with behind the scenes stiff with bike parks. I have a hard time believing that they make enough money to survive.

Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 8:02 Quote
Ray's MTB park in Cleveland has indoor dirt. But honestly if I could design for indoor, I would do wood ramps. Dirt kicks up dust that you don't notice when you're outside, but you do notice inside. Someone would have to be constantly watering and sweeping.

I would suggest visiting other private indoor bikeparks/skateparks in your area and talk to the owners. You're correct that they're hard to keep open as a business--but some have succeeded, like Ray's. The Lumberyard is also a good model.

Rampage in Iowa was famous in the bmx world for being the longest running indoor bmx park.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bmx-advocate/conversations/topics/295
But, my area, a lot of indoor parks have lasted 2-3 years max.

Does your building have high ceilings?

Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 10:00 Quote
I agree, it is hard to stay open. i never thought of the dust thing before. doesnt seam like Burlington has much of an issue tho. i also have large roll up doors about 2 stories tall on each wall to i would assume having them open would help. The building has 30' ceilings in it. It also has 2 floors of offices attached to it that can be rented out as well to cover the rent. Im just trying to see if there would be any interest out here in the tristate area. thats all.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008068
Mobile Version of Website