Is 20 too late to start learning?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Is 20 too late to start learning?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 17:29 Quote
I've always loved the idea of doing tricks and riding fast on a bmx. Got to 20 and decided I actually wanted to do it? I'm completely new to it, never done a trick in my life, dont even own a bike yet. Just wanted to know what people though. Im also 6ft 4 and wasn't sure if that'd be too big for a bmx.

Posted: Jul 25, 2014 at 13:27 Quote
Hell no, I'm 25, about 6foot and 14 stone, started up riding January. my best confidence booster was my first big fall, and realising there wasn't that much to be frightened of. My biggest mistake was building a custom to learn with, I spent a lot of money buyin parts other people like, only to spend more money second time round switching them out for parts to suit me, get a nice mid range complete and upgrade to suit yourself. After like 6-7 months of riding I can just about bunny hop a curb. Most of the time anyway. Skate parks seemed scary to me at first but it's surprising how many kids are encouraging and helpful when they can see you're new. I'm sure people will disagree but they're just a few things I've learned as a beginner. There's something real nice about going out around dusk and finding a cool spot somewhere just to do a few jumps

Posted: Jul 26, 2014 at 16:25 Quote
never man like the guy above said get a complete mid range bike to start.. look to spend between 500-700 and I would say get a bike that is at least a 21" top tube length

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 15:22 Quote
USED!!!! If you can find a used bike shop that is probably best, but do your homework.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 10:57 Quote
Started again at 33 (stopped riding my bmx when I was 13). It's never too late.

Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 16:11 Quote
I rode through the late 80s as a kid until the late 90s. I didn't start again until about '09 when I was 27. I'm 32 now and ride pretty much every day.

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 14:57 Quote
Get some 10" rise bars for sure. S&M and BSD make them.

"BMX for a Taller Rider"
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=162790

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 6:34 Quote
Totally over-the-hill.... says this 40yr old

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010694
Mobile Version of Website