Bike Build Questions

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Bike Build Questions
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 19:56 Quote
About 6 months ago I built a 26in HT for some local trails and to cruise mtb parks every now and then.

I'd like to swap the frame out for a DJ bike frame to try dirt jumping. (Octane One Zircus)

Main Parts I Plan On Swapping:

Shimano MT-15 Wheelset
Marzocchi Bommer Fork (120mm)
Spank Spike 777 bars

The problem is that my current wheelset has QR axles. Is it possible to convert the axles or is it safe as they are?

Posted: Aug 26, 2014 at 23:25 Quote
i definitely wouldn't use quick release axles for dirt jumping, especially as the octane one zircus frame has horizontal dropouts which means if you case a jump (which your very likely to do as a beginner) your rear wheel could completely come off.

if your a beginner and are only hitting small stuff then you could risk it and upgrade when you start hitting larger jumps, but i reckon its better safe then sorry.

whether you can convert them will depend on exactly which hubs they are,and what you want to convert them to. if you are keeping 9mm forks you could try and convert to bolts, if you are changing forks i would recommend getting a 20mm fork/axle combo.
front hubs you often can convert depending on how good they are, you could maybe take them down to your lbs and replace the qr axles with bolts, or find out on the company website if you can buy a 20mm conversion kit.

zircus frame and spike bars are good choice, shimano wheelset will do for beginner, but which marzochhi forks are they? 120mm seemsa bit odd for dj.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007795
Mobile Version of Website