Car suggestions!

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Car suggestions!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 12:55 Quote
Currently have a 2003 Mazda protoge5, had it for 2 years and I've drivin it into the ground, tons of cross country drives and it's up there in km, not to mention rusting like crazy, alothough i do still like it it's time to move on,

My top choices right now (used) ( looking to spend max 8000-8500)
2007-2010 subaru impreza
Golf gti
Toyota matrix

I really want to stick with a hatchback for storage reasons and 4door. If there's any other vehicles similar or if you've have these and wish to share the good and bad if appreciate it a lot!!!

Posted: Aug 3, 2014 at 20:20 Quote
Do you care about performance? If so, the GTI or an Impreza WRX would be pretty cool, but I don't know if you can find one in your price range.

If you don't care about performance, I'd go with the Matrix, a Ford Focus or even a Golf with the TDI engine.

Posted: Aug 3, 2014 at 21:51 Quote
DriftJunkie wrote:
Do you care about performance? If so, the GTI or an Impreza WRX would be pretty cool, but I don't know if you can find one in your price range.

If you don't care about performance, I'd go with the Matrix, a Ford Focus or even a Golf with the TDI engine.

Even a Golf Tdi is fun to drive. Tonnes of torque, I typically get 1200km highway and 900-1000 city, the price of fuel doesn't fluctuate like gas... Oh, and you can find a good shape mk4 for 5k...

Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 7:07 Quote
Bmxerch wrote:
DriftJunkie wrote:

Even a Golf Tdi is fun to drive. Tonnes of torque, I typically get 1200km highway and 900-1000 city, the price of fuel doesn't fluctuate like gas... Oh, and you can find a good shape mk4 for 5k...

I love the TDI and I'm seriously considering one for my wife's next car. I just wouldn't put it in the same class of "fun" as a WRX or GTI.

Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 12:46 Quote
More fun than my Impreza was... By far.

Chipped, old man intake and open filter, 3" turbo back, got it on coils, 18" enkeis and Pirelli bands. Got all that for under 2500, which, with his budget of 8k is more than possible (second hand intake and chip of course but they still go like a hot damn)

For the money you're going to pay for mk4 tdi, they're a fun car, especially because you can do a lot to it for a little bit of a wallet dent.

Better than paying 15-20k for an equally aged and not nearly as reliable Subaru Wrx. boxer engines suck for burning oil especially after 150k. Mine was down a litre after 1500

GTI, that's a different story. You're still paying a lot but it's meant to be a powerful, playful car. I would love a GTI but they're still slightly out of range.

Now, really, a Mk4 R32 would be the most fun. Lol

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 19:35 Quote
Bmxerch wrote:
More fun than my Impreza was... By far.

Chipped, old man intake and open filter, 3" turbo back, got it on coils, 18" enkeis and Pirelli bands. Got all that for under 2500, which, with his budget of 8k is more than possible (second hand intake and chip of course but they still go like a hot damn)

For the money you're going to pay for mk4 tdi, they're a fun car, especially because you can do a lot to it for a little bit of a wallet dent.

Better than paying 15-20k for an equally aged and not nearly as reliable Subaru Wrx. boxer engines suck for burning oil especially after 150k. Mine was down a litre after 1500

GTI, that's a different story. You're still paying a lot but it's meant to be a powerful, playful car. I would love a GTI but they're still slightly out of range.

Now, really, a Mk4 R32 would be the most fun. Lol

Fair enough. But I was assuming that he was going to leave the car mostly stock. If he's looking for something to build into a racer, that would change my suggestions a bit.

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 19:45 Quote
An Fuel economy friendly racer I'd go TDI, just racer, 1.8T for sure.

Either way, racer or not I'd try to find a jetta or golf TDI. Can't beat them as far as fuel mileage of you've got it running right.

All my upgrades (aside from cold air and wheels) boost performance and increase the fuel economy a bit. Especially with the chip. That's the first recommendation I have, chip it and then work your way from there. All the cold air does is make the turbo sound more distinct and give the engine bay a nice look. A waste of money really when if you're looking for turbo sound, drill the bottom of the stock air box out with a hole saw (4-5 1" holes is what I did to my 2 door until I get an open filter).

The old man intake just allows for cleaner air flow because it's not ribbed.

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 1:35 Quote
I don't think the OP is looking to mod the car. Doesn't sound like it from his post.

Have you considered a small SUV? I use to own a VW GTI and a jetta. Then I bought a truck and a ford escape. After owning an SUV I will never go back to a car. So much more storage and capability.

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 4:50 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
I don't think the OP is looking to mod the car. Doesn't sound like it from his post.

Have you considered a small SUV? I use to own a VW GTI and a jetta. Then I bought a truck and a ford escape. After owning an SUV I will never go back to a car. So much more storage and capability.

Fuel economy > storage. Sure escapes are handy to have, but you're not going to beat the fuel economy of a car. Plus, most modern-ish cars have more than enough room for one persons stuff... Lol

Our dubs have never left us scratching our heads as to why we can't fit all of our belongings that we're bringing with us either. There's loads of room. Lol

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 11:59 Quote
Yes that's what I missed about my jetta. Massive trunk space. Although for me it was useless. I had it slammed on 16x9's. Even the spare tire was too heavy lol.

I bought a hybrid escape. Fuel economy is obviously better than a VW. There are gas suv's that get great mpg as well but for under $8500 it would have to be a base model.

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 17:53 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Yes that's what I missed about my jetta. Massive trunk space. Although for me it was useless. I had it slammed on 16x9's. Even the spare tire was too heavy lol.

I bought a hybrid escape. Fuel economy is obviously better than a VW. There are gas suv's that get great mpg as well but for under $8500 it would have to be a base model.

Then comes into play that it's a ford... LOL. Jk. I was looking at a Focus ST Not too long ago... Just need insurance to drop a bit. It's either that or a WRX, stock the new models are putting out more boost and power than the STI's. Or so says my buddy who works there but he's known to be a bullshitter.

Anyways. Lol... finding anything that can compare to a TDI mileage wise for under 8500 will be difficult. Possible, but difficult.

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 13:22 Quote
Bmxerch wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Fuel economy > storage. Sure escapes are handy to have, but you're not going to beat the fuel economy of a car. Plus, most modern-ish cars have more than enough room for one persons stuff... Lol

Our dubs have never left us scratching our heads as to why we can't fit all of our belongings that we're bringing with us either. There's loads of room. Lol

It depends on what you're planning to store. My F150 can haul more stuff than any car I've ever owned.

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 14:50 Quote
Captain obvious statement much? It's a truck... Did you expect it to carry less or something ? lol

Our Passat wagon would hold just as much stuff as our Ram 1500 did... And would do so on half the fuel costs. Without a bike rack we could throw 4 bikes, 6 bags of a fair size, pillows etc. AND 4 people. Not bad for a car.

Sure a truck can "store" more, but a bike rack and hatchback make things just as easy. Lol

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 14:59 Quote
Bmxerch wrote:
Captain obvious statement much? It's a truck... Did you expect it to carry less or something ? lol

Our Passat wagon would hold just as much stuff as our Ram 1500 did... And would do so on half the fuel costs. Without a bike rack we could throw 4 bikes, 6 bags of a fair size, pillows etc. AND 4 people. Not bad for a car.

Sure a truck can "store" more, but a bike rack and hatchback make things just as easy. Lol

My point is that he might have more than one person's stuff to haul around.

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 15:11 Quote
DriftJunkie wrote:
Bmxerch wrote:

My point is that he might have more than one person's stuff to haul around.

Which is more than easily accomplished with a hatchback, eg, GTI.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012426
Mobile Version of Website