Jeep General Discussion

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Jeep General Discussion
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 1:38 Quote
Jeep owner general discussion

Tech, General rabble, 4x4ing, hangout, whatever.

CJ, SJ, YJ, TJ, LJ, XJ, MJ, ZJ, WJ, KJ, LJ, JK, JKU, WK, KK, its open to all jeeps, as long as it has 7 slots between the headlights.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 22:28 Quote
Subbed because one day I plan to buy a jeep and the more I know the better.

FL
Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 1:31 Quote
grabbed a new water pump, O2 sensor, and exhaust downpipe today, tomorrow I'm going to get a new headgasket, then the fun begins, don't expect pictures, cause I just want to get this done as quickly as possible, Working on my heep with 3 fractured ribs wont be fun.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 12:53 Quote
I still have a bit of work to do on mine. Rear wheel/brake cylinders are seized. So need 2 new ones. Cheap though. Also change all the fluids still, and do a few other small things like get a rear view mirror haha

FL
Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 19:20 Quote
one thing you will probably learn is that jeeps are honestly one of the cheapest and easiest vehicles to work on.

just buy a lot of PG2000 or other really good penetraiting oil before you start wrenching on anything that has a chance of snapping, and let it soak for at least 2 hours.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 19:34 Quote
Already come across the problem of breaking fittings haha, trying to fix the brakes that happened. The wheel cylinders are $9 each, so cheap. When I get more money and start lifting my Jeep and all that, I'm sure I'll be making a few trips to the hardware store lol

Speaking of lifts, I've been trying to figure out what would be best. I'm still kind of stuck on the 4.5" on 33x12.5, but I feel like that will require more fender trimming than I'd like. I don't want to cut up the body, it's clean. Do you think I'd be able to cut the fenders, but keep the stock flares?

FL
Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 21:01 Quote
if you go 4.5 with 33x12.5 tires they will most likely clear no problems, but just to be safe, make some bump stops out of hockey pucks, and JB weld them to the spring perch on the front. Remember that you don't need up travel, down travel is much more important in 4x4 applications

my lift right now is 3" with my fenders chopped, and the front tire barely grabs the fender. rear is sitting at about 2.5 ish out of the 3.5 since my leaf pack is so worn out, and i have about 2" of clearance, with stock fender flairs, but they are starting to get shredded now

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 22:42 Quote
Right, bumpstops would pretty well solve that. Likely have to do a bit of trimming, but thats not a huge deal. I was thinking 6.5" to clear 33s, but 6.5" requires a lot more replacing of parts. So not going to go there.

Yeah your bastard pack lift sounds pretty good. But I think I'll leave mine stock until I can afford a lift/tires. Applying for new job now so hopefully that works out.

FL
Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 22:44 Quote
6.5" lift you can clear 35's without rubbing for sure.

my bastard pack is okay, I'm pretty much at the point where the only thing left from the bastard pack is my leafs, but they will be swapped out as soon as i can afford to spend money on some nice 3" leafs and some new shackles

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2014 at 9:22 Quote
Yeah 6.5" lift just involves quite a bit more than 4.5". Which means more money which I probably won't have. 4.5" on 33s would let me do the 4x4ing I want, but also be a good DD. I'll see how quickly money comes in once I get a new job and go from there I guess. Also 35s would require regearing, so even more money.

Posted: Jul 31, 2014 at 10:28 Quote
Whats the stock gearing on your cherokee bryan? 33s might be pushing it depending on what ya got now

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2014 at 10:35 Quote
Yeah 33s are pushing it, but that's what pretty much the stock gears can hold up to. Get worse mileage and slower acceleration with that. I'd probably eventually end up regearing it. According to Wikapedia my gear ratio is 3.07:1.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012240
Mobile Version of Website