Playful DH bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
Playful DH bikes
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 9:36 Quote
I was hoping you guys and girls could give me a list of DH bikes that are more playful rather than race sleds, I already have heard that the Demo and the Session are on that list, anything else? Thanks Smile

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 10:57 Quote
Devinci wilson
Giant Glory
Turner DHR
Scott Gambler
Santa Cruz V10
Transition TR450
Kona Supreme Operator
Nukeproof Pulse
Norco Aurum
GT Fury
YT Tues
There are much more you can check at vitalmtb

Please follow me by clicking on follow on my profile page

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 12:11 Quote
Gloryracer wrote:
Devinci wilson
Giant Glory
Turner DHR
Scott Gambler
Santa Cruz V10
Transition TR450
Kona Supreme Operator
Nukeproof Pulse
Norco Aurum
GT Fury
YT Tues
There are much more you can check at vitalmtb

Please follow me by clicking on follow on my profile page
Playful dude, I've heard that the Wilson, new Glory, DHR, Gambler, V10, TR450, Pulse, Fury and Tues are all "plow" race bikes...thats exactly what I don't want. Thanks though

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 12:32 Quote
I'm in the same boat as you.

maybe give some more info, like price range / or more in depth of how you will ride it.

TR500 is adjustable to 7" would match up nice with a 7" single crown (if you got lots of money to buy new)
SX trails are awesome, but getting harder to find a nice used one.

I ride an old A-line currently, things a pig, BUT I noticed a big change when I swapped it to the shorter travel setting & to a single crown / smaller fork... little less slack / more "playfull"

I've never used one, but something with a angle set could help make things a little more responsive if you want a full on DH rig.
Higher bars def make my bike feel happy hitting jumps / just playing around... but also feels slower ripping berms.

another option if you don't mind going a bit shorter travel (you do live in Ontario as well... so I can't see it being an issue) check out the DMR Bolt, 5" travel, cromo frame, you can single speed it if you want, would make an amazing playfull Blue mountain shredder / dirt jump / trail machine.

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 12:42 Quote
superfunhappyland wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you.

maybe give some more info, like price range / or more in depth of how you will ride it.

TR500 is adjustable to 7" would match up nice with a 7" single crown (if you got lots of money to buy new)
SX trails are awesome, but getting harder to find a nice used one.

I ride an old A-line currently, things a pig, BUT I noticed a big change when I swapped it to the shorter travel setting & to a single crown / smaller fork... little less slack / more "playfull"

I've never used one, but something with a angle set could help make things a little more responsive i you want a full on DH rig.
Higher bars def make my bike feel happy hitting jumps / just playing around... but also feels slower ripping berms.

another option if you don't mind going a bit shorter travel (you do live in Ontario as well... so I can't see it being an issue) check out the DMR Bolt, 5" travel, cromo frame, you can single speed it if you want, would make an amazing playfull Blue mountain shredder / dirt jump / trail machine.
Definitely not looking to buy a frame brand new unless its $1500 or less...which is pretty much non-existent :p otherwise I'd looove the TR500! My max price for a frame with a rear shock would be $1500, I'm looking more into used frames such as the Demo or Session, but was just hoping for some more options. I hadn't yet considered the SX but I'll have a look at them. And I would consider the Bolt but I'm coming off a 140mm travel bike that I've used at Blue quite often, and I've grown frustrated with the AM geometry (steep HA, high BB) which is why I'm looking for playful DH bikes or even better would be FR bikes...unfortunetly FR bikes are relatively hard to find :/ the riding I do is almost exclusively at Blue Mountain, so I don't need a slack race bike, just something that will be more confidence inspiring on some of the steeper tracks like Grab Bag, O-Chute and Showcase

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 12:49 Quote
"unfortunetly FR bikes are relatively hard to find"

^ nailed it there dude.. Frown

Personally, I've been creeping 2012-2014 demos, I'll probably get a medium ( large would fit me, smaller bikes are more fun / playfull) toss on a bar with an extra inch rise, and probably run the suspension a little harder then it should be. I am also a 200 lb + guy that has had some bad luck with forks, so I'll give up a bit of playfullness for the fear of death to go away with a dual crown.

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 15:38 Quote
superfunhappyland wrote:
"unfortunetly FR bikes are relatively hard to find"

^ nailed it there dude.. Frown

Personally, I've been creeping 2012-2014 demos, I'll probably get a medium ( large would fit me, smaller bikes are more fun / playfull) toss on a bar with an extra inch rise, and probably run the suspension a little harder then it should be. I am also a 200 lb + guy that has had some bad luck with forks, so I'll give up a bit of playfullness for the fear of death to go away with a dual crown.
Hmm, well thanks for the help! Looks like I'll continue to look into the Session and Demo (though I'm only about 180-190lbs so I'll probably look for a long travel single crown fork to stick with the playful/nimble theme). Or maybe the Ghost Northshore frame on CRC...decisions decisions...

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 at 22:41 Quote
Ghost north shore looks like a good deal for $600 or so

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 1:52 Quote
Hi there,

I too am not a racer so when i looked at a new DH bike for this season the options were Trek, Canon DHX and the YT Tues.

I ended up going for the Canon DHX Flashzone and i love it, It is a very playful bike. The bike is very light and it even playful and low speeds. My mate got the Tues 2.0, this too is a great bike, really easy to jump. It is not as playful at the DHX at low speeds,but once it is going it is gets very playful too.

The Trek is sweet but it was double the price of the other 2 bikes. The Canon DHX and Tues 2.0 both come fully pimped and at a great price.

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 2:52 Quote
I'd echo the bolt! Just traded in my 224 for a DMR Bolt, honestly can't fault it and not had so much fun on a bike since I started out on my hardtail all those years ago. It is a little unforgiving with the shorter travel but more than makes up for it with just how much fun you have in all round riding.

I think they should make a longer travel version of it.

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 5:46 Quote
Wish I could get a canyon! Not in Canada though :/ anyway I've decided to get myself Morewood Kalula

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 5:59 Quote
Also check the morewood makulu

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2014 at 22:11 Quote
Ever considered the Specialized Status 2? Very playful and can still push yourself.

Posted: Sep 9, 2014 at 22:30 Quote
samuelchant wrote:
Ever considered the Specialized Status 2? Very playful and can still push yourself.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Status II, they have very well priced and i have read a lot of good reviews on them too.

Posted: Sep 9, 2014 at 22:58 Quote
What about the scott Voltage instead of the gambler?

seen lots of those around the price range you mentioned or do you want a full 8" of travel?

( was also going to mention the tatus 2 but was beat to it

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011479
Mobile Version of Website