Is DH getting quicker?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Is DH getting quicker?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 13:03 Quote
It's a wet bank holiday, my bike is clean and set up properly, I have nothing else to do at the moment so I have a question for the stat geeks out there.

Is DH at the pro level getting quicker?

The tracks that I know that are ridden at that level (fort bill, Pearce series tracks etc.) have all changed a lot over the years so side by side comparisons of time are difficult.

Has all the research and development that's gone into the sport made a difference? Sam Hill just won Meribel on a £4k bike, beating Gwin and Miami on their £8k bikes (admittedly they've been set up by experts). I'm considering splashing out on a new bike (currently ride an 08 glory) but I'm thinking, why bother? doubt it'll make me any quicker.

Posted: Aug 29, 2014 at 23:10 Quote
The rider wins the races but the bike helps them to win. It all comes down to rider skill, and honestly some luck.

Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 3:51 Quote
What needs to happen is for some one to make a track that can be repaired back to exactly how it was before to make a comparison , f*ck knows how you would do that but there has gotta be a way.

Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 3:57 Quote
bigburd wrote:
What needs to happen is for some one to make a track that can be repaired back to exactly how it was before to make a comparison , f*ck knows how you would do that but there has gotta be a way.

Urban downhill?

Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 8:50 Quote
Off course its getting faster, dont you know we've got 27.5 wheels now and they are moar faster!

On a serious note, competition always drive progression and looking at the wc dh the competition is harder than ever.

O+
Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 10:12 Quote
4k bike? try a 2.3k bike

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-pulse-dh-pro-canecreek-db-2013/rp-prod87475?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw7IWgBRCjv8Cv4vfC3ckBEiQAE7nvR8mDr-ApYvDHDrd60jpBDR_WdMKBOsVLf5uOjZOLNxwaAg9D8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

but really, his isnt anywhere near 4k what with the more than likely prototype parts, just the frame thats cheaper.

Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 12:04 Quote
Wow everyone is hyped that diamondback came out with a $2000 dh sled with domain and derore. Where as that Nukeproof is waaaaay more desirable frame and build.

Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 12:27 Quote
The question is...

If your bike is setup perfectly and its a wet bank holiday... why aren't you riding your bike?

Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 12:31 Quote
downhill is slowly turning into slopestyle

Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 13:22 Quote
fast groomed trails are okay but i much prefer extremely technical terrain like steep, rocks, and whatnot. Some resorts have all these perfectly smooth groomed trails and i hate that. to me, downhill is about tackling extremely rough terrain that most would be hesitant to ride...not something you could do on an xc bike.

Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 13:24 Quote
i enjoy both very much but these downhill trails brandon semenuk was riding in samoa arent really dh at all, just fast smooth large jumps/dropoffs

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 14:19 Quote
Way to go off topic guys !

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 15:55 Quote
well overall, of course it is getting quicker. just like any sport, as the years go by everyones skills improve and the bar is set higher and higher. And with better suspension designs, lighter weight parts, and bigger wheels (for some) it will get even faster.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 16:09 Quote
twade76 wrote:
Is DH at the pro level getting quicker?

Riders are getting faster.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 17:50 Quote
Same as MotoGP. Everything progresses. Rider skills advance with better bikes.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018511
Mobile Version of Website