Question about rims/ tires

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Question about rims/ tires
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 30, 2014 at 12:33 Quote
Hi im new to bike building, I have a Brody Cretin 2010 and i want to buy new rims for it. The current ones are 20'' im not sure if those are small but i want to buy new ones. All i see really are 26'' rims so if i buy 26'' will i have to buy new spokes, new tires and tubes? also if i buy online do i have to add 2 to the ''cart'' or do they come as pairs

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 1:03 Quote
Im pretty sure the rims on that cretin are 26" if you change the rim, you will need new spokes and youll need to know your hub dimensions and rim erd. It may be worth getting your bike shop to build it.

You can also buy ready to ride wheelsets.

If you say more about how you ride and your budget people will be able to recommend decent rims or wheelsets.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 7:53 Quote
Alright thanks! Wheels will be for dirt jumps and maybe some drops and then once I find out the hub dimensions and rim edr I just match em up with the rim I'm gonna buy or the spokes, or both. I don't really know what my budget is but I was going to try and get these if they fit my bike cause they're cheap http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/ns-bikes-trailmaster-rim-26-/rp-prod87935 but i just checked my bike out and it says it comes with 36h rims. Does that mean i can only buy other rims that are 36h?

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 9:18 Quote
Connorm14 wrote:
Alright thanks! Wheels will be for dirt jumps and maybe some drops and then once I find out the hub dimensions and rim edr I just match em up with the rim I'm gonna buy or the spokes, or both. I don't really know what my budget is but I was going to try and get these if they fit my bike cause they're cheap http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/ns-bikes-trailmaster-rim-26-/rp-prod87935 but i just checked my bike out and it says it comes with 36h rims. Does that mean i can only buy other rims that are 36h?

Yeah quite a lot of DJ rims are 32h, your rims are from a bmx company which is 36h. You'll need to find 36h rims if you want to keep your hubs. I know Octane One do 36h rims, I've used them and they're pretty cheap for how light and strong they are. Have a look on Lama Cycles at their rims and wheels sets.

Halo and DMR also make reasonably priced DJ wheel sets. Sam pilgrim uses halos. To go down this route, You just need to check your rear hub width (usually 135mm wide) and whether the frame takes 9mm or 10 mm axle. Front hubs also come in different axle sizes, you need to find out what your forks are. It may be easiest to email Brodie if you aren't sure what spec it takes.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 9:44 Quote
so if i buy 36h rims all i would need to do is go to the bike shop and have them put the spokes on and it should fit on my bike? also im just going off this http://brodiebikes.com/2013/archive/bike.php?model=cretin&year=10 since my bike is basically 100% stock. Thanks ill check out lama cycles and see if they have something

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 9:50 Quote
Connorm14 wrote:
Hi im new to bike building, I have a Brody Cretin 2010 and i want to buy new rims for it. The current ones are 20'' im not sure if those are small but i want to buy new ones. All i see really are 26'' rims so if i buy 26'' will i have to buy new spokes, new tires and tubes? also if i buy online do i have to add 2 to the ''cart'' or do they come as pairs

Bicycle rims are not measured by themselves (like cars and motorcycles). It's a measurement of the whole wheel diameter including the tire. So yours should be *about* 26" (because tire width/height varies).

http://brodiebikes.com/2013/archive/bike.php?model=cretin&year=10

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 9:58 Quote
Connorm14 wrote:

Why do you want new rims? Wheel doesn't roll straight? You may be able to fix a lot of that by just truing the wheel (tightening spokes in deliberate patterns).

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 10:03 Quote
accidentally bent my current back rim so i figured i may as well get a new set since ive had the bike for so long

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 10:14 Quote
Connorm14 wrote:
accidentally bent my current back rim so i figured i may as well get a new set since ive had the bike for so long

Right on. Sometimes it's a better deal to just get a whole new wheel set. Bike shops often charge a hefty fee for spokes and wheel building. So, check for sales on complete wheels as well.
Check BTI-USA.com for options (a distributor that bike shops can order from).

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 10:18 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
Connorm14 wrote:

Right on. Sometimes it's a better deal to just get a whole new wheel set. Bike shops often charge a hefty fee for spokes and wheel building. So, check for sales on complete wheels as well.

thanks man ill check that out! would i be able to re spoke my own rims by hand? or do i need special tools.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 14:42 Quote
Connorm14 wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:
Connorm14 wrote:

thanks man ill check that out! would i be able to re spoke my own rims by hand? or do i need special tools.

You need spoke wrenches and a truing stand. There are wheel-building tutorials out there. However, there's definitely an art/skill to it, so not even all bike shop employees are wheel builders. Not advisable to donyour first wheel build solo.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010586
Mobile Version of Website