XTR Disc brake adapter compatibility with Hope X2?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
XTR Disc brake adapter compatibility with Hope X2?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 2:10 Quote
I'm looking for some adapters to increase the rotor size for my Hope X2s that are stock 160/140. I have some Hope floating rotors I wanted to use (180/160). I can't seem to find a hope adapter in black that will work (I can get them in silver), the issue seems to be that I can only find the black hope adapter for the front end (post mount forks, post mount calliper) in 183, and my rotor is 180.

I'm wondering if the shimano 'XTR' ones would work. From what I can tell from the pictures, I can't see why they wouldn't, but the product description on one site selling them states that they are for XTR brakes only due to their lower profile.

Does anyone have any experience in using these adapters on non XTR brakes successfully, or even with Hope X2s? It may sound sad, but I want to stick with black adapters as the brakes are black and it simply looks nicer.

If it will work for my front brakes, do you think I can use the XTR adapter on the rear too - keeping things matching?

Here's some pics of the XTR adapters:

Front:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://media.chainreactioncycles.com//is/image/ChainReactionCycles/prod54881_IMGSET?wid=200&hei=200
Rear:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://media.chainreactioncycles.com//is/image/ChainReactionCycles/prod54882_IMGSET?wid=300&hei=300

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 5:23 Quote
Hope 180mm rotors are actually 183mm, and their Caliper Mount is spec'd accordingly. If used on a 180mm rotor, there'll be 1.5mm over run with the pads. With the Shimano unit there will be the opposite, and a loss of overall performance since the pads do not act on the furthest point machined for braking.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 7:06 Quote
Right, I think I follow. So despite hope actually selling two different sized rotors in 180 and 183, they are in fact the same? Is the same true of the adapters, as I can get a black adapter in the size/fitment I need (183 based on the rotors actually not being 180 as marked),

I get what you are saying about using 180 adapters and them not quite fitting, but I guess I could add some small spacers to make up the 1.5mm difference. I was worried that using a 183 adapter with 180 rotors would result in me being unable to do any form of shimming to make it right.

In summary, you are saying that despite the shimano adapters being 180 and 160, the exact size of my rotors, they won't work as the rotor sizes aren't really what they say they are size wise?

Can you see any issues with them fouling the calliper or should it all be fine aside from the 1.5mm issue, which can be addressed with spacers?

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 10:33 Quote
ishaw wrote:
Right, I think I follow. So despite hope actually selling two different sized rotors in 180 and 183, they are in fact the same? Is the same true of the adapters, as I can get a black adapter in the size/fitment I need (183 based on the rotors actually not being 180 as marked),

I get what you are saying about using 180 adapters and them not quite fitting, but I guess I could add some small spacers to make up the 1.5mm difference. I was worried that using a 183 adapter with 180 rotors would result in me being unable to do any form of shimming to make it right.

In summary, you are saying that despite the shimano adapters being 180 and 160, the exact size of my rotors, they won't work as the rotor sizes aren't really what they say they are size wise?

Can you see any issues with them fouling the calliper or should it all be fine aside from the 1.5mm issue, which can be addressed with spacers?

Best way to finish a brakeset is with proper parts firmly in place - so, no shimming of calipers to mounts. HOPE selling 183mm Rotors means in order to use their version, use their mount.
If you have the 183mm rotor then your Shimano pieces will not line up and allow full usage. A 160mm rotor from HOPE measures the standard 160mm however.
Just one of those quirky-dirks.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 11:54 Quote
Ulysees wrote:
Best way to finish a brakeset is with proper parts firmly in place - so, no shimming of calipers to mounts. HOPE selling 183mm Rotors means in order to use their version, use their mount.
If you have the 183mm rotor then your Shimano pieces will not line up and allow full usage. A 160mm rotor from HOPE measures the standard 160mm however.
I totally agree, I'd rather not be shimming and just use the right parts. So, if I have a hope 180 rotor, it is in fact 183, so the hope post to post 183 adapter will work? That would be handy as I bought one, but have been thinking it won't work.

For the rear, a 160v rotor is actually a 160 rotor, so I can buy a 160 post to IS adapter, as these exist and can be bought?

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 12:52 Quote
ishaw wrote:
Ulysees wrote:
I totally agree, I'd rather not be shimming and just use the right parts. So, if I have a hope 180 rotor, it is in fact 183, so the hope post to post 183 adapter will work? That would be handy as I bought one, but have been thinking it won't work.

For the rear, a 160v rotor is actually a 160 rotor, so I can buy a 160 post to IS adapter, as these exist and can be bought?

Yes.
...and, Yes.

BTW how much do you weigh??

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 14:15 Quote
Well that is great news as I am good to go I think (once the brakes turn up anyway).

As for weight, generally around the 80-85kg mark, why, do you think the rotors I'm aiming at are a little on the beefy side? I could stick with the standard rotors at 160/140. I must admit, it has been a while since I have used disc brakes, so showing my naivety I think.

Posted: Aug 31, 2014 at 15:28 Quote
Using some disc brakes is up to you - I asked about weight as riders your weight and above typically have better braking response with Sintered Metallic brake pads. Every maker has them as an option. Organic Pads work well and provide the best tip-in, they will wear quick with aggressive use and with a non-strawweight rider. 175lb/80kg is junior heavyweight...

Rotor size is more about sheer force in the braking, and pads come down to sustained riding terrain and riding weight.

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 12:36 Quote
Junior heavyweight, not sure I'm too keen on discovering that. Thanks for the info on the brakes though. I'll probably run them as they arrive pad wise, then change as/when they get low to something more suited to my junior heavyweight status.

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 14:46 Quote
So long as you achieve Status then. lol Salute

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 8:49 Quote
Hope make 180 and 183 rotors...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010341
Mobile Version of Website