3 speed on a dirt jumper

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
3 speed on a dirt jumper
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 17:37 Quote
Hey guys. I rode bmx all through middle and high school. I am now 25 and recently picked up a used black market dirt jumper. I am completely familiar with bmx, and basic dirt jumpers. anything with more then a single speed has me a bit foggy. the black markets got a we the people bmx style crank and single speed gearing. I ride 90% urban and dirt jumps. however aThere are some trails about 20 minutes from my place that I like to ride every now and again. These trails have some uphill sections which is rather tough with the single speed.plus longer urban rides has me lusting for a few more gears. I have 28/12 gearing. typical bmx gearing would be 44/16x20" = 55 gear inches. My setup is 28/12x26" = 60.6 gear inches. So my gearing is a bit tougher then the typical bmx gearing. im thinking about trying a 25/12 gear ratio and see if I like that more. If that does not satisfy me overall what do you guys think of running a 1x 2, or 1x3 speed? Id like to have something in the range of 55 gear inches and 45(or lower) gear inches.I have not seen this done much on a hardtail dirt jumper. It seems as if I could run a chain tensioner with a built in derailleur lug to fit that up? I'd like to run the shifter on the down tube as I HATE cluttered bars. Id completely prefer just my two grips and rear brake lever on my bars.

Id also like to touch base on cranks as far as running gears. if I run a single sprocket on front can I get away with running the bmx cranks?

Also, not to get off topic, but if someone could explain the benefits of a mtb bike crank in a single sprocket setup that'd be great. I obviously see why you'd need it for 2 or more front gears.. Also do you always need some type of iscg mounted chain guide for running more then a single speed? Kind of confused on that stuff too...

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 19:36 Quote
take off the gears and leave the a comfortable speed on and add a chain tensioner to the chain

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 19:46 Quote
Confused what you mean? It's already a single speed hardtail. No need for a tensioner ATM.

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 19:47 Quote
Jordanh604 wrote:
Confused what you mean? It's already a single speed hardtail. No need for a tensioner ATM.
oh im sorry. i read it wrong nvm

Posted: Sep 12, 2014 at 9:35 Quote
Jordanh604 wrote:
Hey guys. I rode bmx all through middle and high school. I am now 25 and recently picked up a used black market dirt jumper. I am completely familiar with bmx, and basic dirt jumpers. anything with more then a single speed has me a bit foggy. the black markets got a we the people bmx style crank and single speed gearing. I ride 90% urban and dirt jumps. however aThere are some trails about 20 minutes from my place that I like to ride every now and again. These trails have some uphill sections which is rather tough with the single speed.plus longer urban rides has me lusting for a few more gears. I have 28/12 gearing. typical bmx gearing would be 44/16x20" = 55 gear inches. My setup is 28/12x26" = 60.6 gear inches. So my gearing is a bit tougher then the typical bmx gearing. im thinking about trying a 25/12 gear ratio and see if I like that more. If that does not satisfy me overall what do you guys think of running a 1x 2, or 1x3 speed? Id like to have something in the range of 55 gear inches and 45(or lower) gear inches.I have not seen this done much on a hardtail dirt jumper. It seems as if I could run a chain tensioner with a built in derailleur lug to fit that up? I'd like to run the shifter on the down tube as I HATE cluttered bars. Id completely prefer just my two grips and rear brake lever on my bars.

Id also like to touch base on cranks as far as running gears. if I run a single sprocket on front can I get away with running the bmx cranks?

Also, not to get off topic, but if someone could explain the benefits of a mtb bike crank in a single sprocket setup that'd be great. I obviously see why you'd need it for 2 or more front gears.. Also do you always need some type of iscg mounted chain guide for running more then a single speed? Kind of confused on that stuff too...

If you scroll through this thread, you'll see a lot of DJ (or DJ style) geared bikes--almost always they have one chainring in the front. 4x refers to a BMX track style race, except where the track is built on a mountain side and there are 4 guys racing at a time, instead of like 8 or whatever that race at regular bmx tracks. (Therefore the track doesn't have to be as wide either).

Sexiest 4x bike/frame out there
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=93197

There's a thing called "narrow wide" chains and chainrings that make a chainguide not necessary.
I don't have any direct experience with them though.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Race-Face-Narrow-Wide-Chainring-Tested-2013.html

I run 1X9 on my Transition Double with the chain guide and it works great. I'm not very familiar with chain guide options for your frame.
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=144510

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2014 at 10:12 Quote
Thank you for all that info. The chain guide is basically where I am getting hung up. I don't have iscg mounts on the frame so I have no idea how to go about that. I did see in your thread that you linked that someone asked about a setup without running a chain guide. I don't see myself switching gears on the fly. It would be more for selling a easier gear when I go to the trails. Then selecting a better gear for urban riding etc. So I maybe not even need a chain guide. I'll look more into it with those links you posted about the chain wheels.

I'm leaning towards running a 1x3 setup with a saint rear derailleur and a saint 3 speed shifter on my downtube. If I can get by with running my bmx cranks and chain wheel up front without a chain guide that would be badass.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with chain guides so the more info you guys want to keep throwing at me the better. This spring we picked up a specialized p. street 2 for my wife. That is a 2x9 setup and doesn't have a chain guide. Is the front derailleur just acting in its place? Is a chain guide 1x specific?

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2014 at 12:44 Quote
Awesome, thank you so much. I've been searching for info but haven't been able to find info as straight to the point as what you posted. It really seems like the use of a chain guide is up to the end users experience with their exact setup/ riding style. I've seen a few slopestyle pro setups that's are running a 1x infront and no chain guides at all.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 at 15:14 Quote
Alright, so I think I am going to switch over to a mtb style crank and run a wolftooth sprocket. So I picked up a saint three speed shifter and will run a saint rear derailleur. Now for the cogs. I want to run a 1x3 setup with a 32 front and 14,16,18 rear cogs. My question is, can I just buy those 3 cogs and machine spacers to space them out properly according to the spacing of the saint shifter? Or, do I have to buy a whole 9 speed cassette and tear it apart?

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 at 15:30 Quote
Jordanh604 wrote:
Alright, so I think I am going to switch over to a mtb style crank and run a wolftooth sprocket. So I picked up a saint three speed shifter and will run a saint rear derailleur. Now for the cogs. I want to run a 1x3 setup with a 32 front and 14,16,18 rear cogs. My question is, can I just buy those 3 cogs and machine spacers to space them out properly according to the spacing of the saint shifter? Or, do I have to buy a whole 9 speed cassette and tear it apart?

The only 3 speed I've really heard or seen anyone doing is with 3-speed internal hubs.
http://labjack.com/blog/3-speed-single-speed-mountain-bike

On my 1X9 bike, I use the middle three the most, but it doesn't seem like any extra problem to have 9 options instead of 3 . . . . . (?)

But, I guess it could be interesting. Take pics and report back!

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2014 at 15:53 Quote
You're probably right. Maybe I would just be better off going a 1x9, or I've seen a lot of the rampage and slope bikes were running 1x7 setups. Maybe I should just quit being different and follow the norm :/ I just had this whole less is more stuck in my head. My bike is used for a variety of street, trails, and dj. So I'm just trying to find a real simple setup to help me achieve those 3 areas

Posted: Jan 13, 2015 at 15:56 Quote
What did you come up with? Looking at a 3 speed or 2 speed myself

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2015 at 16:30 Quote
I ended up going with a 1x10 setup. Hope pro 2 evo hub, hg81 cassette, zee shifter, and zee derailleur.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009881
Mobile Version of Website