Zee brake lever repair question

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Zee brake lever repair question
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 13:50 Quote
Was out for a ride today, one section that is tight between trees I messed up and clipped my handlebar and edge of the brake lever of a tree at speed.

Heard a ping as it happened then saw the lever for the front brake had popped off of the lever body/reservoir. The lever itself is unbent and in one piece as is the main body.

The only bit which has broken is a plastic mount that the piston thingy (may not be the technical term) between the lever and lever body/reservoir has snapped. I'm guessing that was a designed weak point to prevent the main body from taking damage?

Was able to find the parts and pop them back together, although it was a bit loose without the mounting slot for the piston thingy so not working perfectly, but well enough to finish off the ride.

Current problem I'm having is after a look online I can't see spare parts for this plastic mount - is this something I can replace? The other option is that a sharp-eyed friend was able to see the broken off plastic part, which broke cleanly and would fit back into the other half still in the lever body - could I just glue this plastic mount back in?

Any ideas on what I could do to fix it or find spares would be appreciated - I tried Madison (uk shimano distributor) but their website isn't loading for me today. Thanks Smile

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 18:56 Quote
post a photo please. I think I have understood what are you talking about, but seeing the whole scene would be much better.
as for part replacement. you can give a call to bike-components.de. they can order almost anything for you. but the faster (and almost not more expensive) way is to buy SLX or XT lever separately as a donor

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008835
Mobile Version of Website