Need Part recommendations for New bike please.

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Need Part recommendations for New bike please.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 18, 2014 at 21:42 Quote
Hello all

As you can see from my title I need some help figuring out a few quality parts for my DJ.

First off I will start by saying I have been a BMXer pretty much since I learned how to ride a bike. And I have always done all the servicing and sourcing parts myself. But now that I am older (32) I decided to get something close to a BMX just a little more comfortable to ride since this is also my daily commuter back and forth to work.

Now before everybody laughs at me and just goes straight to that bike is a POS hear me out first.

I have gotten myself a Full rigid Frame and forks single speed Dirt Jumper from canadian tire. The Bike it self is the Kranked Uno Jump 26" tires 15" Frame ( http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kranked-uno-jump-26-in-urban-bike-0711616p.html#.VBuqVfldV4U ). I plan on completely stripping the bike down pretty much every part you can take off I'm going to replace. I might keep the headset since it looks very solid and it is a BMX design so it should be ok.

OK now to the parts i need help with. I have already bought a few things just waiting for them to be delivered.

Handle Bars- Need recommendation

Headset- Keeping original

Forks- Keeping original untill there effed, I heard S&M Pitchforks 26" would be a good replacement what do you guys think?

Crank- Bought already- Race Face Chester crankset with 32T Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring
BB- useing the one that comes with the Crank- Could still use a pointer to a replacement after the race face one wares out. Cuz i hear there good BB's but tend to ware out kinda quick.

Rims- Need recommendation I'v heard its best to go with ether Mavic or Alex just i'm not sure which model would best suit my need

Hubs- Now this is where i really need help. I'm looking for preferably sealed hubs but I'm also looking for a set front and rear that doesn't have Disk mounts for disk breaks

Pedals- Need recommendation Looking for Decent Quality Grippy Platform Pedals or something close to that.

I know this is alot to ask But i'm completely new to the Dirt Jumping scene. I'm not sure if its just me but it seems like there alot more sizes and different parts and types when it comes to Dirt Jumpers and what not compared to BMX's. Which got me kinda lost when i was first part hunting.

Now Keep in mind i'm not looking for top of the line crazy stuff. I'm more looking for good Quality parts that will last but not break the bank if you all know what i mean.

So if anybody out there is willing to help me out with this task i would greatly appreciate it.

And thanks in advance
CptKlink

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 at 19:36 Quote
I have noticed nobody gets help when asking for part recommendations. Shame thxs anyways.

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 at 22:07 Quote
Nobody really wow whats the point of this forum

Posted: Sep 24, 2014 at 16:23 Quote
Seems the regulars hang out on the megathreads and pay little attn to the rest of the threads. Common occurrence with forums that don't limit thread size.

There is good info in PB that addresses your questions. You will need to mine it with the search engine.

Posted: Sep 24, 2014 at 18:07 Quote
I guess.... but I answer dudes' questions here all the time.
And this specific question on over on mtbr.
http://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/need-help-finding-diskless-hubs-my-dirt-jumper-932213.html

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 10:27 Quote
Handle Bars-
How do your bars feel now? Tall, short, not wide enough, too much sweep/ not enough sweep? (bend back)

Forks- not super familiar with Rigid, just don't buy DMR because everybody and their dog seems to break theirs.

BB- probably you will need to buy the same BB from RaceFace. Likely the X-Type if your bracket shell is threaded.

rims those are good brands. Try Spank or Octane One too if you can find them in your price range. Spank Subrosa, Tweet or Spoon are good, and Octane Solar 31's are the best rims I've ridden that aren't pure overkill.

Hubs- NS, Halo and Profile all make diskless front hubs. I would not recommend getting diskless rear hubs should you ever decide it wise to run a brake. Most DJ/Street hubs also have the brake mount as an excuse to build a zero dish wheel, which will be more beneficial than not having the brake mount.

Pedals- pick your poison. Spank Spike, Wellgo MG1, specialized Bennies are all pedals I've had good experience with.

That said, do your own research. Find some local jumps and ask them their recommendation. Or read through other existing threads here. People have asked and we've responded time and time again, almost always the same answers every time. That's really why we haven't responded- it's the same old song and dance. There's always a new person asking questions and typically after getting answers we never hear from them again.

So come into one of the megathreads and show off your riding. We don't bite... Often.

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 14:10 Quote
The PINKBIKE search function does kinda suck. I have much better luck finding a relevant PINKBIKE thread by going to google and typing "pinkbike .... [whatever]..."

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 16:27 Quote
Very true but there are worse search engines. PB lets you preview the context of each hit, which I like.

Posted: Jan 4, 2015 at 9:00 Quote
Hi cptKlink:

Hey, I've been a long time bmx'er and mtb'er. I got out of the game a few years ago now when I had some kids and moved to the Prairies. Sold all my bikes about 3 years ago.

I was in my local CT yesterday and noticed a kranked uno on sale for like $140 and it peaked my interest. My question is, how is the bike working out for you? Do you have anything good/bad to say about it?

I know to the purists, talking about canadian tire bikes is complete sacrilege, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

As for which parts to buy, I've always gone with "ride with the parts that came on it till they break, then upgrade"

Posted: Jan 4, 2015 at 9:30 Quote
CptKlink wrote:
this is also my daily commuter back and forth to work.

I highly recommend an optimal singlespeed gear ratio that is comfortable on trails and tour alike. I am using my dj bikes for longer distances too and I prefer a ratio of 2.4 minimum, even offroad and on jump trails.

I have a 12T cog and a 30T chainwheel, i.e. an exact gear ratio of 2.5

Posted: Jan 5, 2015 at 9:06 Quote
I was just waiting for my car at CT for almost 3 hours and checked out the Kranked uno...

Overall its a good buy for 130, which is what is the list price on it right now... however if you're changing over most of the parts, including wheels... you have to wonder if its worth it.

What I mean is you paid 140 for a frame and fork when you could get a octane frame for a little more.

Not trying to criticize though, I used to love doing what you're doing. All my bikes were wallys and cts and I would rebuild them completely... I later learned that its cheaper to budget build than to rebuild a complete.

I saw it had kiniption tires... one of my guilty pleasure favorites back in the day.

Bar- Deity topsoil

Stem- Hussefelt (only because - cheap)

Rims and hubs- check out superstar components and consider a custom build... or I honestly have to say just get a set of singletracks Lighter than outlaws, easy to service, strong enough for most jumps...

Change the seatpost/seat as well. The one I saw on your bike is disgusting.

Use a kmc 710sl chain, and DEITY compound pedals..

After all that your bike will be around 25-27 pounds at least....but the frame will still be made of hi-tensile, so just remember to be cautious.
Theres a huge stiffness strength difference between a decent 20" and a cheap-as-can-be 26" dj bike.

Not saying any of this to insult you, I just dont want to see anyone in a fatal crash because of cheap manufacturing.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011536
Mobile Version of Website