help on a fuji transonic

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
help on a fuji transonic
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 10:08 Quote
I'm newish to road biking and looking to get a new bike. Does anybody have any thoughts on the new fuji transonic 2.5? Am I'm going to be able to ride it 60-80 miles one day and be happy to jump back on the next day and do it again??

Posted: Mar 4, 2015 at 11:03 Quote
If you can test ride, maybe, but I would think twice about ordering/buying a new Fuji without a test ride. I've had very recent firsthand experience with a new carbon fiber Fuji that had unfixable drivetrain issues that Fuji admitted that they knew about, but offered no solution to.

The bike in question was a 2x10 road bike with a 105 group and the chain rubbed against the inside of the large chain ring when in the two smallest cogs. A shim behind the bottom bracket on the drive side might have fixed it, but the frame was built for a press fit bb, so that wasn't a good option. Granted, it's a minor issue, but the main reason for having a 2x10 is to allow the use of the whole cassette in either chain ring. Other manufacturers seem able to pull this off, but Fuji just said that you shouldn't use those gears. Also, front derailleur trim adjustment was total crap. I am an experienced bike mechanic. I make my living building and repairing all kinds of bikes, and in my experience, 105 components work fine on other platforms, but not on this bike. We ordered a second bike to see if it was a one-off problem, but it wasn't. A $2k+ road bike shouldn't have drivetrain geometry issues.

Bottom line: Test ride whatever you buy FIRST. Don't assume that a bike is good just because it is new, has a carbon frame, and a nice group set.

I'm not a huge fan of Cannondale, but I worked for a Cannondale shop about a year ago and found their CAAD 8 to be a good ride as far as price-to-value goes. Not the lightest or techy-est bike out there, but everything works and nothing is super delicate or bitchy to tune, and the riding position wasn't so racy that it was uncomfortable.

Best of luck!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007856
Mobile Version of Website