Does my new Ibis Ripley have a problem with the front derailleur?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Does my new Ibis Ripley have a problem with the front derailleur?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 24, 2014 at 6:00 Quote
I just bought a new Ibis Ripley. I love it but I am really having problems getting the front derailleur to shift. It's a 2 by up front with Race Face turbine cranks. I have taken it back to the shop I bought it from twice. It shifts fine on the stand, but when I am riding, it shifts really rough on the front ring and sometimes not at all. The techs have tinkered with it several times, and it seems to work fine for them when they ride it, but I am guessing it has something to do with weight as I am a 200 lb guy and they both clock in about 170-180.

I think for 6k for a bike, it ought to shift like a dream...am I wrong?

Posted: Sep 24, 2014 at 19:37 Quote
One thing to keep in mind is that even the best FD likes to be slow pedaled into gear. also shifting under load ,steep hills etc ,can make for hard shifts. obviously it shifts okay when you're pedaling on a smooth flat road right? Don't try to hammer the FD, slow pedal it before you get to the hill. If this isn't it , could be the frame mount??

Posted: Sep 24, 2014 at 19:43 Quote
whistlerbound wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that even the best FD likes to be slow pedaled into gear. also shifting under load ,steep hills etc ,can make for hard shifts. obviously it shifts okay when you're pedaling on a smooth flat road right? Don't try to hammer the FD, slow pedal it before you get to the hill. If this isn't it , could be the frame mount??

+1

One of the mistakes i often see noobs make, (not saying you are one), is not changing the to the smallest chainring early enough. Once you have to push hard on the pedals it's too late. Learning to predict what gear you need before you need it is a good skill to learn.

Posted: Sep 25, 2014 at 9:03 Quote
whistlerbound wrote:

Nope, it shifts fine on the stand, but even riding it around the parking lot, it wouldn't shift.

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 2:39 Quote
Could they have fitted the wrong chainrings? are they the fat thin type for single ring set up.

My Sram XO 2 ring set set-up changes fine even under load.

If you have paid 6k surely the shop should be bending over backwards to sort this out.

Nick

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 18:15 Quote
Do you have a two speed front derailleur? They have shorter cages so they can be dropped down close to the big ring. Do that with a triple derailleur and you'll probably have issues because the shaping of front derailleurs is specific to the sizes and number of rings. But you're right. The thing should shift perfectly.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 15:36 Quote
A friend of mine bought a Ripley and had trouble with the front shifting. It has Shimano shifters. On close inspection, we noticed that the left shifter has a 2x/3x switch. He has a 2x crankset and the shifter was in the 3x setting. Changed the shifter setting to 2x and problem solved.

Posted: Feb 17, 2015 at 10:36 Quote
Best thing I ever did was drop the front derailleur and get a one up 42 tooth cog. 1 by 11-42 now and loving it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010461
Mobile Version of Website