Avid Elixir 1

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Avid Elixir 1
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 28, 2014 at 14:56 Quote
im running just the rear Avid on my Dirt Jumper , the problem is that 2 days ago it stopped working , i though it was the brake pads so i changed them but it didnt go , the brake just doesnt stop the wheel , the lever goes fully in without any braking . what can it be? i already checked the hose and there is no visible leaking

Posted: Sep 28, 2014 at 17:22 Quote
your problem can be put to a pressure issue, somewhere in the system there will be either a leak, an air bubble (unlikely) or a faulty or dirty seal. You said there doesn't appear to any leaks so that can be ruled out. So it's either a faulty seal or air bubble. The air bubble is unlikely unless you've tried to bleed the brakes yourself without the proper bleed kit or incorrectly used the proper bleed kit. So it most likely a seal issue, the first thing i would do is take the brake off the bike (but leave it intact, just unmount it) and give it a decent clean (don't use degreasers or special cleaners unless they say they are brake friendly), remount it and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't work then you've got a serious issue, a seal in the master cylinder or the calliper has died and this generally cannot be fixed. My advice then would be take it to a decent bike shop and see if they can help from there or simply replace the entire brake. Chain reaction has some good deals going on avid stuff at the moment.

Hopefully this is helpful

Posted: Sep 28, 2014 at 20:45 Quote
Avid seals are replaceable, but paying a shop to do it will cost more in parts and labor than replacement cost of an elixir 1. Get something cheap that isn't made by avid.

Posted: Oct 5, 2014 at 8:59 Quote
Cameron-1 wrote:
your problem can be put to a pressure issue, somewhere in the system there will be either a leak, an air bubble (unlikely) or a faulty or dirty seal. You said there doesn't appear to any leaks so that can be ruled out. So it's either a faulty seal or air bubble. The air bubble is unlikely unless you've tried to bleed the brakes yourself without the proper bleed kit or incorrectly used the proper bleed kit. So it most likely a seal issue, the first thing i would do is take the brake off the bike (but leave it intact, just unmount it) and give it a decent clean (don't use degreasers or special cleaners unless they say they are brake friendly), remount it and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't work then you've got a serious issue, a seal in the master cylinder or the calliper has died and this generally cannot be fixed. My advice then would be take it to a decent bike shop and see if they can help from there or simply replace the entire brake. Chain reaction has some good deals going on avid stuff at the moment.

Hopefully this is helpful
thaaaaaaanks man , helped a lot just took it to my lbs and thay did the rest

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010143
Mobile Version of Website