First DH Bike Build

PB Forum :: Beginners
First DH Bike Build
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 1:37 Quote
Currently building my first downhill bike pretty much know everything i want to get for it except for breaks, there's so many on the market i have no idea which ones to buy anyone got any advice for me?? cheers, Mark Smile

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 2:06 Quote
There are a lot of them really. Probably you have seen Shimano zee brakes on rampage this year, so if they work well for pros, they should for you. Ofcourse, if you have planned everything with Sram parts then go for new Sram guide RSC.

Mod O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 6:18 Quote
teknobear62 wrote:
Currently building my first downhill bike pretty much know everything i want to get for it except for breaks, there's so many on the market i have no idea which ones to buy anyone got any advice for me?? cheers, Mark Smile

Whats your budget? Do you have a preference to a certain brand, Avid/Sram, Shimano, Hope, etc......

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 7:18 Quote
i have no preference when it comes to brand if i'm honest as i don't really know which would be best suited for me and i'm looking for something reasonably priced but i am willing to spend a fair bit on them

Mod O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 7:50 Quote
Speaking from experience I've had great success with Avid XO trails. I've had 3 sets now and not a single issue with any of them. I know others that also run them on there DH bikes without issue. The new Sram Guides brakes are suppose to be equally good or better then the XO trails, but I have no experience with them so can't comment.

I've also heard great things about Shimano Zee's, Saints and even XT's. For the price, people are saying you can't go wrong with Zee's. But again, no really world experience with them other then installing a few sets. I will say I am interested to try Shimano brakes, I love the "hard stop" feel of the levers. When you pull the lever it gets to a point where you just can't pull it any closer to the bar. Avid's always have that feeling where if you pull hard enough it seems you could pull the lever right to the bar, even with a good bleed.. From what I understand the new Sram Guide brakes have the same feeling as Shimano and the lever design is similar.

I think it all comes down to personal preference and how much you want to spend...

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 8:02 Quote
a few ppl have recommended shimano zee or saint so think i will give one of them a go cheers for your comments tup

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 8:15 Quote
I have tested both saint and zee and there's almost no difference. So i would say go with zee and save some money for wear and tear parts.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008412
Mobile Version of Website