Wider handlebar and rise effect on seating position!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Wider handlebar and rise effect on seating position!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 21:16 Quote
I'm planning to buy a wider handlebar. My question is : if I keep the same rise as I have on my shorter one will it make any difference in my seating position? Or, should I go for a bigger rise to achieve the same position I have with my shorter bar and adjust height by playing with the spacers if needed ? If the bar had no rise I assume it would indeed make you lean more forward but I figured that with a rise it cancels that effect. I might be wrong here. I'm going from a 720mm 25mm rise to a 780-800 mm width. I'm 6'4'' by the way.

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 12:25 Quote
Yeah if you want to have the same handle bar height but with a wider bar you will need to either , buy higher bars or more stem spacers as you will be more forwards due to your hands being further apart.

I doubt you will notice this though as going 60mm plus wider will take your mind from it Razz

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 12:55 Quote
it's common to go to a shorter stem at the same time as wider bars, then your body position may not change much if at all

Posted: Oct 18, 2014 at 0:16 Quote
welric wrote:
I'm planning to buy a wider handlebar. My question is : if I keep the same rise as I have on my shorter one will it make any difference in my seating position? Or, should I go for a bigger rise to achieve the same position I have with my shorter bar and adjust height by playing with the spacers if needed ? If the bar had no rise I assume it would indeed make you lean more forward but I figured that with a rise it cancels that effect. I might be wrong here. I'm going from a 720mm 25mm rise to a 780-800 mm width. I'm 6'4'' by the way.

This is a tricky question to answer because of variables like upsweep and back sweep and also your preferred bar-roll angle. But yeah your pretty much right.

I'll assume that since your worried about being to low, you are already running some spacers under your stem so id probably recommend a 35mm or 40mm rise bar.

Im a bar fiend and one of my recent experiments was a wider bar at equal rise and yes it felt like my shoulders were to far forward during descending.

Also, with such a dramatic change in bar width, a slightly shorter stem may be needed. In my experience, anything from 50 to 60mm works well with 780mm bars but of course this is very subjective to personal taste and terrain.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.097213
Mobile Version of Website