Buying Forks With Scratched Stanchions?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Buying Forks With Scratched Stanchions?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 18, 2014 at 5:31 Quote
Hi,

I'm looking at a pair of Fox Van 180s here, at a good price. The only problem is, there used to be a scratch on the stanchions that has now been 'fixed'. My question is, if I go to get them serviced (which I will at some stage), will the stanchions definitely need to be replaced? In other words, is there any point in buying them?

Due to financial restraints and currency markets at the moment, this is my only real chance to buy a pair of Fox forks at the moment, so splashing out a wee bit more isn't much of an option.

Thanks,
Rory

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 1:51 Quote
can I take a look at these scratches?

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 4:16 Quote
Personally I'd avoid them. A scratched stanchion will damage the bushing in the lowers. They will become increasingly worse with every ride until they are only fit for the bin no matter how well you look after them. Save your money & buy a decent pair.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 4:44 Quote
I guess it partially depends on the discount you'll be getting.. vs the cost of new stanchions
unlikely to be a good option but you never know... a photo would be useful though

used stanchions might be an option if you keep an eye on pb and ebay
good luck Smile

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 6:55 Quote
if there are some scratches from falling-that can be ok. but fox really loves to eat legs with own bushings.
if there is something like that:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://cs402923.vk.me/v402923221/a72b/RnYPWE2P_ZU.jpg
then don't buy it. or buy that fork and new uppers at the same time. fork with scratches like above is a dead man

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 7:15 Quote
Stay well away from fox, I have a pair of 2013 36's that came on my alpine, they started showing bushing wear on the left leg only within less than the recommended service time, I tried warranty and I got blamed for not servicing them, I can't prove that I rode less hours than the service time, go with something else. I am an engineer and I can tell you something about fox, if the wear on the legs was from dirty oil or running dry then the wear would be present 360º around the leg of the fork, it's not which means that there is something bad going on inside the forks and I blame the design of the bushings.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 7:24 Quote
ElGatoGales wrote:
if the wear on the legs was from dirty oil or running dry then the wear would be present 360º around the leg of the fork, .
not at all. stanchion carries friction load on it that is not spread homogeneously all around it. commonly signs of wear appear on the front, like on my photo above. looks like this is a weak place of fork engineering. tons of fox forks suffer from similar wear even if they are serviced well. that's because of upper bushings.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 13:29 Quote
I asked for a close up of the scratches and am waiting for them at the minute.

Looks like I'll save myself the potential hassle and just buy forks without scratches. Unsure whether to pay for newer Van 180s or go for coil X Fusion Deveance now.

Thanks for the help!

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 14:09 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
ElGatoGales wrote:
if the wear on the legs was from dirty oil or running dry then the wear would be present 360º around the leg of the fork, .
not at all. stanchion carries friction load on it that is not spread homogeneously all around it. commonly signs of wear appear on the front, like on my photo above. looks like this is a weak place of fork engineering. tons of fox forks suffer from similar wear even if they are serviced well. that's because of upper bushings.

Read it again brainbox, things go in this order, read, understand then comment, not read a few words, think you know it all and chat crap.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 14:12 Quote
Junior-DH wrote:
I asked for a close up of the scratches and am waiting for them at the minute.

Looks like I'll save myself the potential hassle and just buy forks without scratches. Unsure whether to pay for newer Van 180s or go for coil X Fusion Deveance now.

Thanks for the help!

I would stay well away from Fox, the X Fusion would be a more reliable option if your research shows that they are not a fork/manufacturer that is prone to destroying themselves when maintained.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 15:34 Quote
ElGatoGales wrote:
Read it again brainbox, things go in this order, read, understand then comment, not read a few words, think you know it all and chat crap.
yeah, you're right, read and understand: stanchion carries friction load on it that is not spread homogeneously all around it.. even if it runs dry or with dirty oil, it won't be worn at 360. that is the main idea of the post. further information war about bushings. I have serviced tons of forks, lots of them were dry or very contaminated inside. and I've never saw 360 degree wear signs.

anyway, hasn't your mom taught you to be polite with people?

Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 17:52 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
ElGatoGales wrote:
yeah, you're right, read and understand: stanchion carries friction load on it that is not spread homogeneously all around it.. even if it runs dry or with dirty oil, it won't be worn at 360. that is the main idea of the post. further information war about bushings. I have serviced tons of forks, lots of them were dry or very contaminated inside. and I've never saw 360 degree wear signs.

Think why you never saw 360º wear then get back to me when you have your answer, I already know what the answer is and you have started along the right lines, you just need to know why that happens. PS no I'm not polite I'm an engineer, we are not a polite species.

Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 15:58 Quote
ElGatoGales wrote:
Chuvak wrote:
ElGatoGales wrote:

Think why you never saw 360º wear then get back to me when you have your answer, I already know what the answer is and you have started along the right lines, you just need to know why that happens. PS no I'm not polite I'm an engineer, we are not a polite species.
You are also a gigantic jackass.

Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 16:41 Quote
laynehip wrote:
ElGatoGales wrote:
Chuvak wrote:

You are also a gigantic jackass.

I do try to be. Mostly to know it alls.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012991
Mobile Version of Website