Need some advice on components plz (rd cranks chain)

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Need some advice on components plz (rd cranks chain)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2014 at 16:46 Quote
Im changing out some parts on my 8x3. I have already purchased saint m800 brifters, m765 calipers, saint m805 fd and sram 990 9speed 11-32 cass. These parts were nos and extremly cheap $65 for everything.

My question is will there be any issues mixing those and what type of rear derailleur will i need ie does it have to be rapid rise and how do i know if i need long cage or not?

Can i use the crappy sr suntour 8x3 crankset or will i need to change that and if so is an xt crank fine to mix with this? Also whats the recommeded tooth setup for 9x3?

Recommended chain for this setup?
I only care about strength not weight.

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 6:39 Quote
all the parts you have purchased will work fine. yes you need to upgrade your chainset to 9 or 10 speed. if you buy a 10 speed chainset then your 9 speed stuff will work fine on it. if your keeping a triple then you will want the long cage. if you buy a double then you want medium. rapid rise is now known as "low normal". the most common mechs on bikes are "top normal". Low normal means the mech sits closest to the wheel then when you shift by tensioning the cable it moves down to the frame where as the top normal starts at your frame then shifts up towards the wheel. either will work fine. arguably the low normal is better/smoother for off road but I would always go top normal. its much more common on bikes. as for rear mechs, you will want to stay shimano given you have shimano shifters. buy a 9 speed mech not a 10 to ensure the ratio and jockey wheels run perfect. there is a big choice sizes for chainsets, doubles or triples so depends where you plan on riding. you can get a 48-36-26 , 44-32-24, 40-30-22, then you can get lots of doubles. check what your front mech is capable of doing first cos that will be a deciding factor on what you choose. i cant remember what the saint m805 was made for.

as for a chain. if you want the strongest and most durable you should buy a kmc. you can always rely on kmc !

hope this helps

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 6:51 Quote
This was everything i needed to know thanks so much i appreciate it.

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 6:54 Quote
no probs, send me a message if you need anything else

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007065
Mobile Version of Website