The official COMMENCAL thread

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
The official COMMENCAL thread
O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2016 at 23:31 Quote
Fair enough, I think maybe it's just continuous park brutality, it mostly happens going around corners when encountering braking bumps that frankly shouldn't be there but whatever, even when they're not riding the trail, joeys still can't be avoided hah!

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 5:23 Quote
Theeeeo wrote:
Fair enough, I think maybe it's just continuous park brutality, it mostly happens going around corners when encountering braking bumps that frankly shouldn't be there but whatever, even when they're not riding the trail, joeys still can't be avoided hah!

Yeah I think those results after riding park continuously makes more sense.

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 6:05 Quote
Theeeeo wrote:
Anyone else having problems with alpha wheel set?
They're so shit haha!!
one of the first changes i made was swapping them out, changing rims to flow ex made a huge difference in the way the bike handled, felt like it cornered on rails when i had my first ride out on them

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 6:37 Quote
toddyf12 wrote:
Theeeeo wrote:
They're so shit haha!!
one of the first changes i made was swapping them out, changing rims to flow ex made a huge difference in the way the bike handled, felt like it cornered on rails when i had my first ride out on them

Is it cheaper to just change out rims and cover labor charges rather than get a whole new wheelset?

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 8:40 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
toddyf12 wrote:
Theeeeo wrote:
They're so shit haha!!

Is it cheaper to just change out rims and cover labor charges rather than get a whole new wheelset?
its cheaper to change out rims as i built the wheels myself and didnt have the money for hope hubs at the time, the difference from stock rims to flow ex are immense, im sure the same is true for most other aftermarket rims also.
EDIT: ive also had zero issues with the commencal branded hubs so i wasnt too bothered about swapping them out at the time

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 9:18 Quote
What about these DT Swiss E1900 SPLINE?
A friend of mine is riding them on his YT Capra, sounds awesome, looks great and is strong enough so far.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2016 at 18:26 Quote
Definitely changing the wheelset and rear shock ASAP, hopefully I'll get some dirt cheap 26" bargain when I'm back in England.
26 ain't dead!!

Posted: Oct 1, 2016 at 8:04 Quote
Theeeeo wrote:
Definitely changing the wheelset and rear shock ASAP, hopefully I'll get some dirt cheap 26" bargain when I'm back in England.
26 ain't dead!!

some bargains to be had.

just got some Hope Pro Evo 2 straight pull hubs on Stans Flow EX for £160

Posted: Oct 7, 2016 at 7:45 Quote
Hi just after a bit of advice, at present I have a YT tues 2015 alu, I like the bike, but after a year on it im coming to the conclusion its a little big for me. Im top limit for the small (5ft 8'ish) after trying a small to a medium (first proper downhill bike), im running a 30mm stem to get a little less reach, Ive had a few over the bar experiences, dropping into sections, which Im thinking maybe due to me not being able to shift my weight back far enough (handled these sections fine for years on an 08 Stinky). So im thinking about grabbing a smaller supreme dh v3 (2015 650b) frame while they are cheap, then selling the yt frame and switching the rest of the components, just wondering if they are fairly playful ride, the yt is quite poppy of of jumps etc and stiff rather than really plush, which i like, i live in south of the uk so the trails are fairly tight, and not massively steep, but with plenty of features, gaps, etc. So more Downhill/Freeride than dedicated pure downhill courses. Just thought id see if they have a similar feel, good for jumping etc, or if its a bit more of a plush soak everything up type of ride.

Hope that makes sense, any pointers greatly appreciated, thanks

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2016 at 2:01 Quote
My V3 park is sick for jumping and FR even though I complain about a too soft spring she pops strong and well. Pretty certain the DHs only difference is wheel size, but 650b is pretty much pointless unless you're either a racer or a doctor/dentist ;P

Posted: Oct 8, 2016 at 3:05 Quote
Theeeeo wrote:
My V3 park is sick for jumping and FR even though I complain about a too soft spring she pops strong and well. Pretty certain the DHs only difference is wheel size, but 650b is pretty much pointless unless you're either a racer or a doctor/dentist ;P
Thanks, good to know, yeah agreed id have gone with 26 with the yt but by 2015 they were all 650b and the cheap options just to run the same wheels :-) how was the sizing - how tall are you which size did you go for?

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2016 at 23:32 Quote
Sizing is a weird one, Im 6'3 and have gone with the large frame and I would honestly prefer a medium, but that's just my style of riding, common comments that I get from people that don't really ride commencal is they find it too small haha!

Posted: Oct 9, 2016 at 3:05 Quote
Theeeeo wrote:
Sizing is a weird one, Im 6'3 and have gone with the large frame and I would honestly prefer a medium, but that's just my style of riding, common comments that I get from people that don't really ride commencal is they find it too small haha!
I am 6ft and have a large v3 dh, I like long for my Riding style, but they are kinda long I agree.

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 3:42 Quote
Theeeeo wrote:
Thanks for the info, so maybe id be ok on a small, thought it might be a bit small but its tricky to tell definitely dont want anything too big again, thanks for the help, Tim

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 at 14:20 Quote
Commencal El Camino Shimano Essential 2015

I'm a bit late to the party but better late than never. My 2015 Commencal El Camino 'Essential Shimano' (small frame). I've had it since April 2015 and it's been a great bike. Mostly stock but I've replaced the 3 front chainrings with an oval 32t and upgraded the rear cassette to an XT 11-36 with a 16t and 40t Works Components expander, an SLX clutch derailleur and new chain. Also, a new front shifter (SLX).

I'm finding the cokpit slightly cramped on occasion but at the same time I like the fact that I can really shift my weight around the bike. I'm thinking that wider bars (700mm at the mo, maybe go up to 750mm?) and shifting the seat back slighlty might feel better but I'm currently at a crossroads. I either return the bike to it's stock set up and it becomes my wifes bike and I get a new bike/frame or I continue to upgrade with hopefully a new/better air fork, new wheelset to run slightly wider tubeless and maybe a dropper post.

I have two contradictory emails from Commencal regrding fork travel. The small was spec'd with a 100mm coil, one email says I could go up to 120mm max, the other advises not to. Also, if I run a tapered fork with an external bottom headset the extra 20mm + 12/14mm cup might not be great for the geometry. I could live with 120mm in a straight steerer or 100mm tapered as long as the fork was an improvement in terms of damping and performance. The trouble is, I really like the El Camino and I haven't seen any new bikes that I'm interested in that are in my price range (think budget, then reduce it). Also, the brake cables have always been slightly too long, I need to sort that out.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027704
Mobile Version of Website