Zee 1 x 10 issues

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Zee 1 x 10 issues
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 2:43 Quote
I purchased a Zee 32-36 wide ratio mech, and an 11-36 XT cassette and am having issues with the set up.
I am running a 32 ring on the front but cannot get chain tension right, in the largest ring (36) the chain seems a little tight (1 link too tight?) and in the smallest ring (11) its dragging down and is way too loose.
Has anyone else experienced these issues or know of a solution?
The only thing i can think of is that they gave me the wrong mech.
Here are some pictures to further explain.
photo
photo

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 5:44 Quote
id recommend double checking you have the correct mech as they make a downhill and a freeride version. you need the freeride version. double check the mech is bolted on correctly so it buts up against the back of the hanger which pulls it back to give tension.

i have fitted many of these with no issues but know alot of people get issues cos they either buy the wrong mech or bolt it on wrong.

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 6:29 Quote
Short cage deraliuer with 36t? Ummm.. yeah did you place the chain over the largest rear cog when you broke the chain? Always run it over the largest rear and largest front. So you have a single 32t and largest rear being 36t. You should at least have a medium cage rear. Or even long cage.

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 6:37 Quote
i can confirm short cages do work on these setups Smile

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 13:51 Quote
Ok sure you're probably right,but with slack on that chain...not on this one

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 17:08 Quote
I think the OP not put the RD in right direction. It should be like chobba said.

and yes, if on your RD there is "DH" stamp in the pivot plate, means you have a wrong RD.

as for measuring chain length, I always put a chain around my largest cassette and my largest chain ring, without goes thru the RD, and add 4 links. Sometimes it gets too long, so I will have to cut another link. I prefer to cut a link in a too long chain than add a link in too short chain. Imo, it will minimize the risk of weak link.

It will work if you set up correctly.

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 5:00 Quote
As mentioned in the comment above, I think you have the Zee 'DH' derailleur, you need the 'FR' version.

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 8:32 Quote
As 'cobba' explaned above: Looking at the first picture posted of the Zee derailleur and the way my Zee is set up on my bike, it looks like its not mounted correctly, the top mount bracket of the derailleur should be horizontal like in the picture 'cobba' posted, it should stay in that position no matter what gear and that bracket should not move(I don't mean the hanger) which will set the derailleur futher back and would then take up some of the slack chain. Maybe has it mounted wrong but what's causing it I have no idea, maybe the hanger itself is not the correct type or is on back to front?, or just simply needs adjusting but is definitely not postioned right.

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 9:10 Quote
cobba wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
As mentioned in the comment above, I think you have the Zee 'DH' derailleur, you need the 'FR' version.

Not necessarily, I've seen the same problem with FR versions that weren't setup properly.

Yeah sorry I overlooked your first post about the bracket not being horizontal, and then I tried to explain the same thing myself, only to realise you had already said that.

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 3:34 Quote
Did you fix it?

Also check this link:

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/drivetrain/shimano-zee-rear-derailleur

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012115
Mobile Version of Website