Forks and first time build advice please!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Forks and first time build advice please!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 5:35 Quote
Hi, I'm completely new to off road riding and bike building and have decided to throw myself in at the deep end, probably without doing enough research first. I nearly have all the components for my Kona Stinky Primo frame build and am having trouble figuring out if I have bought the wrong forks or not. I have bought Marzocchi All Mountain 2s with 170mm steerer length, the stack height of my headset (FSA Pig DH Pro) is 31mm and the headtube on the frame is 120mm. Will I be able to fit a stem or do I need a longer steerer on the forks?

Any advice or stuff I could have overlooked will be much appreciated, cheers.

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 6:52 Quote
if you deduct the headtube and headset stack from the steerer length you are left with 19mm of steer to fit a stem. your gonna need a longer steerer my friend!

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 7:12 Quote
If you find a crank brothers iodine or cobalt headset, they're 20mm stack height. Find a low stack stem round 30mm plenty to choose from, otherwise new fork time.

You don't need to be bang on if you're a few mm off, the top cap bolt will keep it all tidy. Anything over 3mm and you're going to be pushing your luck.

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 10:11 Quote
Thanks a lot, I think I'll track down a longer steerer and sell on what I've got

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009306
Mobile Version of Website