Changing to 1x10 and need help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Changing to 1x10 and need help
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 7:30 Quote
Hi, i'm looking to change my gearing from "3x9" to 1x10. I am riding a Kona precept dl (http://www.konaworld.com/precept_dl.cfm)
I was looking on advice on what i should buy to use on my bike.
I was also hoping to not have to buy a new crankset but i am aware that this may not be the case. could anyone give me advice on prices and parts to get?
I don't have a massive budget, but i don't want to buy anything that is going to go wrong after a few hours of riding as im riding singletrack mostly.

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 7:44 Quote
ashrobins992 wrote:
Hi, i'm looking to change my gearing from "3x9" to 1x10. I am riding a Kona precept dl (http://www.konaworld.com/precept_dl.cfm)
I was looking on advice on what i should buy to use on my bike.
I was also hoping to not have to buy a new crankset but i am aware that this may not be the case. could anyone give me advice on prices and parts to get?
I don't have a massive budget, but i don't want to buy anything that is going to go wrong after a few hours of riding as im riding singletrack mostly.

You will want a N/W chain ring for upfront (I am a fan of the raceface units). you will probably want a 30 or 32 t.
10 speed shifter (I would go with XT for the dual release)
10 speed rear derailleur (Clutch and long cage, I would reccomend XT or SLX depending on your budget)
10 speed cassette (You will need a 11-36 range again XT or SLX depending on your budget)
10 speed chain (Any shimano dynasys chain should work. I usually run an XT chain)
You will also likely want one of these

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 8:46 Quote
cobba wrote:
ashrobins992 wrote:
I don't have a massive budget,

Why don't you make it a 1x9

I was thinking that now actually Big Grin

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 14:13 Quote
Raceface Narrow Wide chainring 34t or whatever size you prefer...£30-35ish
Zee Cranks...need to choose crankarm length 165, 170 or 175mm and check bb size as they come in 2 sizes...£80ish
Zee derailleur 'FR version'...£35
XT cassette 11-36...£30
Saint 10sp right hand shifter, check fitting you need or prefer, either bar mount or i-spec/I-spec b type to fix direct to Shimano brakes...£32
KMC x10 sl silver chain...£22 'eBay'

This lot works out to over £200 but if not in a rush you could just perhaps buy one part a week or something until you have everything you need.

Also you might need a few tools if you don't have them already, but they are cheapish, such as a cassette lockring tool, chainwhip and a chain link tool...

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 14:40 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
Zee Cranks...need to choose crankarm length 165, 170 or 175mm and check bb size as they come in 2 sizes...£80ish
XT cassette 11-36...£30
Saint 10sp right hand shifter, check fitting you need or prefer, either bar mount or i-spec/I-spec b type to fix direct to Shimano brakes...£32

This lot works out to over £200 but if not in a rush you could just perhaps buy one part a week or something until you have everything you need.

Also don't you might need a few tools if you don't have them already, but they are cheapish, such as a cassette lockring tool, chainwhip and a chain link tool...
He wouldnt need cranks, the zee wont handle the 40T he would need to climb with a 34 t front... it is an AM bike NOT a dh sled..

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 at 14:52 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
XT cassette 11-36...£30

Als you might need a few tools if you don't have them already, but they are cheapish, such as a cassette lockring tool, chainwhip and a chain link tool...
He wouldnt need cranks, the zee wont handle the 40T he would need to climb with a 34 t front... it is an AM bike NOT a dh sled..

You can use a 40t with a Zee FR.

Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 8:04 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
XT cassette 11-36...£30

Als you might need a few tools if you don't have them already, but they are cheapish, such as a cassette lockring tool, chainwhip and a chain link tool...
Zee Fr struggles with the 11-36 on my GF's operator. A XT or slx would run smoother and cost about the same... Why not go that way? There is ZERO point putting heavy DH/fr parts on a trai;/AM/endurbro bike when parts for the later are more than capable and often work better in that application.

You can use a 40t with a Zee FR.

Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 10:10 Quote
Because Zee is bad ass...: ))

Zee is not that heavy, and the Zee cranks are single ring specific. Zee derailleur is only 12 grams more than an XT.
But agreed you could go XT or SLX, although if you shop around XT is not that dearer so I would go for XT over SLX.

I can't understand people that have trouble running a Zee FR derailleur with an 11-36 cassette, it should work fine, mine does.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025759
Mobile Version of Website