Tire/rotating weight

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Tire/rotating weight
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 23:39 Quote
I just swapped the rear tire on my AM/FR hardtail. I went from an old kenda nevegal 2.5 to a maxxis minion 2.35 and noticed a huge difference in weight, maxxis being obviously lighter. I have a maxxis minion for the front too but not sure if i want to change it as well, reason being the kenda's are absolute meat eaters. So my question is, how will this affect the ride and how does rotational weight play a role in riding/jumping? Thanks

Posted: Oct 29, 2014 at 0:25 Quote
Weight of the wheel is very important. Than lighter it is, than faster it accelerates, brakes and easier in cornering. But the weigh if the wheel is not homogeneous. The heaviest part is on the periphery of it: on the rim, tire and tube. There is a maximum profit of lightening. If you drop even 150-200 gramms from tire, you feel really faster accelerating and other stuff for sure.

Posted: Oct 29, 2014 at 7:22 Quote
Chuvak wrote:
Weight of the wheel is very important. Than lighter it is, than faster it accelerates, brakes and easier in cornering. But the weigh if the wheel is not homogeneous. The heaviest part is on the periphery of it: on the rim, tire and tube. There is a maximum profit of lightening. If you drop even 150-200 gramms from tire, you feel really faster accelerating and other stuff for sure.
oh wow. Ill probably end up putting the minion up front too then. Thanks man!

Posted: Oct 29, 2014 at 11:12 Quote
As Chuvak says , rotational weight is hugely important.

When I went from tubes to tubeless the difference was instant , I lost about 400g off the rear and about 300g of the front and the bike really did sprint much easier , much more snappy on the pedals.

If you lost that much weight in frame/forks I very much doubt you would actually notice the difference , but in the wheels it's night and day.

Posted: Oct 29, 2014 at 11:34 Quote
bigburd wrote:
As Chuvak says , rotational weight is hugely important.

When I went from tubes to tubeless the difference was instant , I lost about 400g off the rear and about 300g of the front and the bike really did sprint much easier , much more snappy on the pedals.

If you lost that much weight in frame/forks I very much doubt you would actually notice the difference , but in the wheels it's night and day.
well, the pricing of these "enduro" and carbon wheelsets make alot more sense now. Thanks for that man!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008481
Mobile Version of Website