Help with rebuilding Specialized Command BlackLite Post

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Help with rebuilding Specialized Command BlackLite Post
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 15:10 Quote
So, a while back there was a Tech Tuesday about rebuilding Specialized Command BlackLite seat posts, and a few comments from users mentioned removing the head seal without the correct tool can spell disaster. Unfortunately I didn't really know what they meant until I did it. Now my seal has seated itself inside the bushing groove.

Does anyone who has had this happen before have any tips on remedying this?

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 4:15 Quote
may I take a look at the photo?

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 15:12 Quote
Thanks for your message Chuvak, but I have since fixed the problem. For anyone else out there who has this problem - brute force is the key. Gentle brute force that is Smile

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 23:38 Quote
I had the same thing happen to me while rebuilding my Command Post, and I actually was able to fix it by pressurizing the air chamber until the top shaft popped out of the bottom.

I installed my saddle so I had something to hang on to, threaded the collar back onto the lower tube, and pulled on the saddle evenly while holding the lower tube. I then had a helper pump up the chamber to ~150psi and just wiggled the shaft a bit till...POP!, the whole thing came off. The hardest thing is getting it started with the pump, but if you hold the two shafts parallel it will create a seal and start to pressurize.

Didn't even have to replace the air seals, still holds air!

On the other hand, I found the collet part in the seatpost had two broken "fingers" on it. My lbs quoted me $40CAD for a replacement collet. Anyone else had this problem? Is it worth replacing the collet or just winging it with 8/10 of the fingers still engaged?

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2014 at 10:53 Quote
Thanks jsartee, that sounds like a good way to do it. If I ever make the same mistake again, I'll try that method.
No broken fingers for me, but if it were me, I'd probably just replace the collet. It might cause problems otherwise?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010699
Mobile Version of Website