2000 Norco VPS-3 Frame

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2000 Norco VPS-3 Frame
Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 9:18 Quote
squealer86 wrote:
Ok good. 6202 is what I was thinking. The bearings I pulled out of the frame had some crappy paper-like seals on them.
ka6ax was the only number I found on them.
Made in Japan. I measured them and goin the 6202 number last night. So I'll order some of those.

Hold off till I get them measured tonight, I already have a brand new set of 6202 in my freezer ready to drop in.
no reason for you to buy a set and find I am wrong Smile I will post results around 7pm

This is what I have to put in just FYI:

http://bonesbearings.com/bones-reg-reds-reg-bearings-8-pack

I may have messed up tho, I think these are 608 not 6202

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 11:02 Quote
I'm pretty sure it's 6202. I saw them on chainreactions website. But I'll wait to here from you before I commit.

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 13:13 Quote
squealer86 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's 6202. I saw them on chainreactions website. But I'll wait to here from you before I commit.

Nope my memory failed me when I said I saw 6202.

I went home and checked the size, NOT 6202 for sure.

These are 22mm OD x 7mm thick x 8mm ID

That is a 608

6202 is a fair bit bigger @ 35mm OD x 11mm Thick x 15mm ID
Now your frame MIGHT be different from mine!
I measured my bearings with a digital vernier caliper so I am very sure of what I have.

http://medias.schaeffler.com/medias/en!hp.ec.br.pr/60..-2RSR*608-2RSR?clrsb=1

Damn Norco sent a bearing kit not a bushing kit Frown I may still be screwed for bushings.

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 18:48 Quote
Mine seems to be ID 10mm, OD 22mm, W 7mm.
Now that is with a ruler so not the most accurate of measurements. A friend of mine is coming over with a micrometer and i should know exact numbers after that.

I have standard 608 bearings here and the shaft that goes though the bearings will not fit the 8mm bore.

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 19:59 Quote
Ok so the bearings I have from the frame are KP 6AX.
The outer race is 6mm wide, and the inner race is 8mm wide. They have a crappy teflon "seal" that does nothing.
The closest thing i can find is a 6900 bearing measuring 10x22x6 with a proper rubber or metal seal.
according to the internet 7mm and 8mm wide bearings with a bore of 10mm and overall outside diameter of 22mm simply does not exist.

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 23:04 Quote
squealer86 wrote:
Ok so the bearings I have from the frame are KP 6AX.
The outer race is 6mm wide, and the inner race is 8mm wide. They have a crappy teflon "seal" that does nothing.
The closest thing i can find is a 6900 bearing measuring 10x22x6 with a proper rubber or metal seal.
according to the internet 7mm and 8mm wide bearings with a bore of 10mm and overall outside diameter of 22mm simply does not exist.

Sorry man I don't know what you have.

I put the 608's in my frame tonight and everything bolted up perfect.

I have a line on bushings direct from igus.ca and I think it will work out to replace the ptfe with plastic

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 9:05 Quote
I'm going to talk to the guys at my local shop. See what they have to say.

Posted: Nov 20, 2014 at 16:35 Quote
I have a 2001 VPS Norco is a bit cruel on bikes over tens years old. I talked with many people from there
about parts "difficult" a bit. I keep all my order forms with lots of part numbers and phone numbers.
I didn't read all posts just thought I'd throw out any help. Its always easier to ask for a part number.

Posted: Nov 20, 2014 at 20:52 Quote
kamomatt wrote:
I have a 2001 VPS Norco is a bit cruel on bikes over tens years old. I talked with many people from there
about parts "difficult" a bit. I keep all my order forms with lots of part numbers and phone numbers.
I didn't read all posts just thought I'd throw out any help. Its always easier to ask for a part number.

You wouldn't happen to have the part # for the frame bearings would you?

Posted: Nov 20, 2014 at 21:00 Quote
I'll look through my stuff and get back
I had everything to rebuild my frame and believe I kept all the bags and part#.

Posted: Nov 21, 2014 at 21:10 Quote
these numbers are for 2001 Norco shore
Norco bearing service kit 959800-25 several bearings
Norco main pivot assembly 959800-31 2 bearings, bolt, and several bushings
What part of the frame?

There are several kits for the bike I'm not sure which one you are asking for.

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 12:59 Quote
kamomatt wrote:
these numbers are for 2001 Norco shore
Norco bearing service kit 959800-25 several bearings
Norco main pivot assembly 959800-31 2 bearings, bolt, and several bushings
What part of the frame?

There are several kits for the bike I'm not sure which one you are asking for.

I just got back from my lbs. Talked to one of the guys that used to ride an old VPS.
He had a few bearing kits in stalk but all the bearings were 608zz, meaning the center bore is to small (8mm).
We looked in an old Norco parts book and confirmed what i already knew...The VPS1 (Team DH and NS I believe) had beefier components. Everything about the bearings is identical except the center bore is bigger to allow a 10mm shaft, and quoted me $135 which he thought was insane for old discontinued bearings.
He recommended I buy the standard 6900 bearings (10x22x6) since its less than half the price. About $40 for 6 bearings shipped to my door. And use appropriate washers for spacing. He told me this is what they used to do back in the day and it works just as well.
But thanks for digging around and finding those part nuumbers, Im sure it will help out a lot of other riders too.

Posted: Dec 3, 2014 at 13:48 Quote
Success here Smile

Frame stripped, examined for cracks, repainted - Done
New Bearings - Done
New Bushings (via IGUS) - Done

Frame restored and ready for build!!!

total cost $119

total hours 4

loved every min Smile

Posted: Dec 3, 2014 at 22:00 Quote
Good job man. I'm waiting for my bearings to arrive
I have the frame painted an ready to go. I'll post a picture once it's all buttoned up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018946
Mobile Version of Website