Motobecane Borix X7 from BikesDirect

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Motobecane Borix X7 from BikesDirect
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 8:41 Quote
Hi folks,

I recently purchased a Motobecane Boris X7 from BikesDirect and I wanted to share my experience.

First, the search: I looked online for reviews and tried in store many fat bike such as Norco, Trek, Salsa and 9:Zero:7. All of those are awesome bikes and I found that the drive feeling is pretty similar on all of them: TOTAL STABILITY AND AWESOME CORNERING!!! For sure, the full carbon Trek with Bluto suspension was super smooth and lite but for me was not that much of a gain compared to the price (4500$+ taxes @ 15% in Quebec). Then, I was about to pay 1700 for a Salsa Fatty at my LBS and I found bikes direct.com... Sorry LBS but after reading about every review I could find on the Boris X7 I could not resolve myself not to try this 800$ CAD (699$ U.S.) fatty.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-boris-x7-fatbikes.htm

Second, the order: I went to order the bike on Bikesdirect website and I my order did not went trough the system because I live in Canada... I emailed the sales dept and the replied within 15 minutes with a phone and secure fax order procedure for order outside the US. Also they informed me that because of an agreement with their supplier, they could not ship directly to Canada. They suggested that I had the bike delivered to a UPS Store near the border. I preferred to call Bikesdirect directly (rather than the secure fax method...), the phone service was fast and accurate. The woman there took my order (she put me on hold for a minute to check the actual availability on the Boris X7 in the warehouse) and my Canadian credit card number. Then, I proceeded to give the address of the UPS Store in Plattsburgh NY (1h15min from Montreal!!!) and the order when trough! I received a tracking number 12 hours later and the bike got to the UPS Store exactly five business day later!

Third, the pickup: I left Montreal in Quebec at 15h30 and drove to Plattsburgh. I got there at 16h45, showed my passport to the UPS Store employe and gat the big box! Then I could not wait... I had some basic tools in the car so I proceeded to assemble the bike right there in front of the store;-) I took only 30 minutes due to the prefect packaging they did! Everything was well protected and yet not a pain in the a.. to remove. Small adjustment on the brake and gear and I was test riding this fat baby. Did I mentioned that everybody who passed by me during assembly came to see this amazing bike! Same while I was test riding, its a head turner!! Finally, I put the bike on the car rack, the box in the car and proceeded back to Canada... Yes I paid the sale taxes at the Canadian border, 118$ but no duty since the bike is made in the U.S. All in all, the bike costed me 950$ CAD with gaz, currency exchange and taxes.

Motobecane Boris X7 out of the box

Assembling the bike in front of the UPS store in Pattsburgh. Got to make sure its perfect before I bring it back home. It took about 30 minutes.

Assembling the bike in front of the UPS store in Pattsburgh. Got to make sure its perfect before I bring it back home. It took about 30 minutes.

Dont be fooled by my positive review... there is some cons. The handlebar, stem and seat post are not of the best quality. To their defence, they had to cut somewhere to give us this price. It is very ridable and I have no feeling that they will break... plus they are not the most expensive parts to replace.

My Motobecane Boris X7 with custom built fender in construction . Au parc Lafontaine

After a month of riding (street and mountain), I find that I made a great choice of bike, It is sturdy yet light. The welding and the paint job is awesome (mate black) and the Shimano X7 derailers and BB5 brakes are accurate and easy to adjust. It is not a fast bike but it is by far the most comfortable and easy to get to get to the top of the mountain bike that I have, almost more than my 3000$ DeVinci Atlas...

BRAVO BORIS X7!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming soon, I will take this bike and electrify it with 48V electric motor.... picture of the build à venir:-)

Bike rack in my garage.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.132268
Mobile Version of Website