Disc prolapse

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 10, 2014 at 8:49 Quote
Hello boys n girls,

I've got a disc prolapse in the lumbar part of the spine. I hope you get what I mean, had to use the dictionary.
Anyway, do you have experience with it or can you tell me what adjustments you've mad in puncto biking? My doctors won't tell me if I'm able to ride a bike again, can't tell you why, probably they don't know either. Please share you experience with me.

Thanks
Florian

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 9:21 Quote
I currently have a disc prolapse at L5 L4 & a disc bulge at L5 S1. Mine is getting better now after 3 months. I would say get yourself a good physio If I had of relied on the nhs I'd still be waiting now. I'd avoid having surgery as doesn't seem that successful. Naproxen is a good anti inflammatory but I had to stop taking it as was giving me really bad acid. I've found swimming helps as good way of moving without putting pressure on your back. There's no reason why you won't be able to ride once it's healed just don't rush back too soon. I'm going to be doing a lot of core strengthening & stretches to try and prevent it from happening again.

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 at 14:58 Quote
iamqtpie wrote:
Hello boys n girls,

I've got a disc prolapse in the lumbar part of the spine. I hope you get what I mean, had to use the dictionary.
Anyway, do you have experience with it or can you tell me what adjustments you've mad in puncto biking? My doctors won't tell me if I'm able to ride a bike again, can't tell you why, probably they don't know either. Please share you experience with me.

Thanks
Florian

Hey bud, this reply is quite late but I have had surgery on my L5-S1 and its been about 9 months now since the actual surgery it self. I Had 3 back to back. 2 Discectomies (partial disc removal) and finally an ALIF operation where they removed the entire disc and put in a cage with a bone graph. Essentially its just considered a fusion but the larger fusion of the two choices. I now look like I have had a Cesarean. I feel great and I can do just about anything. I got into pool therapy immediately and increased the strength of my back with exercise. I am planning on returning to Downhill as soon as May of 2017.

All I can say is get opinions from different neurosurgeons! Best of luck and dont worry!!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009759
Mobile Version of Website