2005 Specialized big hit spec, too old?

PB Forum :: Downhill
2005 Specialized big hit spec, too old?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 12, 2014 at 21:47 Quote
Hello, I am trying to get into some light downhill and some harder trails that are alot more fun with a full suspension bike. I have come across a 2005 Specialized Big Hit Spec and I can get it for $300. It looks to be very clean and in good condition. I was wondering if this is worth my money as my first "real" bike. I ride an old cross country bike right now and it's not cutting it. I'm just looking for a bike to hit a few sweet jumps on and ride some tougher terrain. I'm 5'10" and 135lbs and the frame is a large btw, if that helps any. I don't want a bike that is way too outdated or going to break on me. So should I pass or buy it? I can get it this weekend

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 at 12:52 Quote
dillis wrote:
Hello, I am trying to get into some light downhill and some harder trails that are alot more fun with a full suspension bike. I have come across a 2005 Specialized Big Hit Spec and I can get it for $300. It looks to be very clean and in good condition. I was wondering if this is worth my money as my first "real" bike. I ride an old cross country bike right now and it's not cutting it. I'm just looking for a bike to hit a few sweet jumps on and ride some tougher terrain. I'm 5'10" and 135lbs and the frame is a large btw, if that helps any. I don't want a bike that is way too outdated or going to break on me. So should I pass or buy it? I can get it this weekend

Bump, I need to know before saturday

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 at 10:03 Quote
madmax650 wrote:
Don't

Why not? You have no reasoning in your post. I am going to test ride it tomorrow and if I like it I will end up buying it if it's not really worn out. from the pictures it doesn't appear to be worn much

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 at 10:10 Quote
You said you needed to know. It's 10 years old. Outdated geometry. Steep head tube high bottom bracket. It will handle like caca. I had a 2004 big hit built up nice. But it really didn't ride good. It just had nice parts on a shitty handling bike. Oh yea the big hit spec is the lowest model, doesn't have fsr

But yea sounds like you want to get it. Despite you seeking advice of this bike

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 at 10:30 Quote
madmax650 wrote:
You said you needed to know. It's 10 years old. Outdated geometry. Steep head tube high bottom bracket. It will handle like caca. I had a 2004 big hit built up nice. But it really didn't ride good. It just had nice parts on a shitty handling bike. Oh yea the big hit spec is the lowest model, doesn't have fsr

But yea sounds like you want to get it. Despite you seeking advice of this bike

Thanks for actually putting a little time into this post. I have been riding a 1998 diamondback hardtail, so not much could be more outdated or worse handling. It's obviously not going to have perfect geometry or anything. I don't have a lot of money and this was the best bike that has disc brakes that can handle pretty rough terrain. I'm not racing or anything so I don't feel like perfect geometry is a must but, if it's really gonna be that bad then I wont buy it. Keep in mind this is my first "freeride/dowhill" bike.

I will test ride it, and consider everything you have said.

Here's the bike, it looks pretty clean Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://images.craigslist.org/00W0W_bKvokjEUA3u_600x450.jpg

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 at 12:33 Quote
Clean. But very outdated. For 300 you won't find much better ready to roll. But if you look around you could build something much better up for maybe 200 more.

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 at 12:49 Quote
madmax650 wrote:
Clean. But very outdated. For 300 you won't find much better ready to roll. But if you look around you could build something much better up for maybe 200 more.

Down the road I'll probably end up selling this bike. Not exactly what I'm looking for in my bike but the best deal I have seen for a while. Oh and he's throwing in three spare tires if I buy it tomorrow.

I gotta get myself a job before I can buy a nicer bike though.
Around spring I'll probably pick up a Dirt jumper

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 2:48 Quote
Buy it dude , though it may be outdated it will be a night and day improvement on your Diamondback and you will love it , don't worry about the fashionistas and have fun

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 4:56 Quote
I had that exact same bike. Upgraded the fork,rear shock raced it two seasons at Fontana here in SoCal. Good bike,won't break it,a bit heavy,super reliable,easy to maintain.....do it,enjoy it.

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 9:23 Quote
Sweet, I'm buying it if it fits me. It looks pretty strong so I'm glad I won't have to worry about frame strength too much.

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 13:06 Quote
madmax650 wrote:
Did you get it?

Heck yes! Fit perfect, rides awesome, other than the shifter. Needs cleaning and probably time for a good regrease and inspection. I can see what you (I think it was you) were saying about the handling. It isn't amazing on the handling but a couple rides and I'll be set. No play in anything really. The brakes may need new cables soon. Chain has some really thick grease so I'll get that all cleaned and relubed. no leaky seals, brakes look ok. Gotta get some real pedals on it, he put some $5 plastic ones so I could test ride it. He threw in three other tires as well, one with only one or two rides on it, and two other good condition ones. The thing is a beast! I gotta setup the suspension better but it was a great deal

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 15:29 Quote
Right on. Go rip it.

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 15:30 Quote
Hard to beat if for that price. Is a decent bike and you can climb with it. Pretty heavy but built like a tank. Way better than what you were riding. If you start having to replace expensive parts, it would be better spent on something newer. Something to think about down the road. In the mean time, ride the heck out of it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011363
Mobile Version of Website