Lapierre zesty fork upgrade (help appreciated)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Lapierre zesty fork upgrade (help appreciated)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 10:48 Quote
Hey I need some advice on fork upgrade. Current fork is fox 32 float and their awful by flex a lot. I am think of changing for some rockshox pikes solo or dual which ones better ? I know dual is more adjustable but is that too much hassle ? Also current travel on the fox forks is 150mm, should I get the same travel in pikes or could I possibly get 160mm?

Thanks everyone!

Sam p.s I would get fox 34 or 36 but budget won't stretch that far Frown

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 7:27 Quote
If you put the 160 pike on your Zesty, you are essentially changing it into a Spicy. Both bikes use the same frame.
The Solo is just easier to set up than the dual. Just because one suspension product has more adjustments doesn't mean you need them or will set them up correctly.
Hope that helps

Al

Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 7:28 Quote
Subwaysam wrote:
Hey I need some advice on fork upgrade. Current fork is fox 32 float and their awful by flex a lot. I am think of changing for some rockshox pikes solo or dual which ones better ? I know dual is more adjustable but is that too much hassle ? Also current travel on the fox forks is 150mm, should I get the same travel in pikes or could I possibly get 160mm?

Thanks everyone!

Sam p.s I would get fox 34 or 36 but budget won't stretch that far Frown

I cant help with the Pikes, as the only Pikes I own are about 5 years old. But on my zesty i went for the Fox 34s in 160mm and it doesnt change the way it rides much at all. I would go for the 160mm if the axle to crown is a similar height.... I wouldnt want to raise the front any more.

Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 8:19 Quote
IamSeaDevil wrote:
If you put the 160 pike on your Zesty, you are essentially changing it into a Spicy. Both bikes use the same frame.
The Solo is just easier to set up than the dual. Just because one suspension product has more adjustments doesn't mean you need them or will set them up correctly.
Hope that helps

Al

Cheers for the advice, i think i am looking to change it more the a spicy sided bike, but would a 160mm travel fork mess up the geometry? or should i get pikes in a 150mm? i think i will go solo, can't be wasting time setting up rather than riding!

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 21:59 Quote
The spicy uses a 160mm travel fork. The Zesty uses a 150mm. The Spicy and Zesty frames are identical and use the same geometry. If you put a 150mm on a spicy it becomes a zesty. If you put a 160mm fork on a Zesty it becomes a Spicy.

Posted: Dec 19, 2014 at 1:17 Quote
IamSeaDevil wrote:
The spicy uses a 160mm travel fork. The Zesty uses a 150mm. The Spicy and Zesty frames are identical and use the same geometry. If you put a 150mm on a spicy it becomes a zesty. If you put a 160mm fork on a Zesty it becomes a Spicy.

Not quite
They have different rear shock lengths and shock shuttles too. And the geometry is slightly different.

Fitting the 160 to the front of mine lifted my front a tiny bit but I only lost around 1/4 of a degree in head angle. If you don't like the very slightly slacker feel, drop a stem size.

If you want to see the geo etc, it's all on the lapierre site.

http://2013.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/node/3283#onglets

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2014 at 7:31 Quote
I agree that the 2013 bikes were different, but take a look at the 2014 and current 2015 Lapierres. I've owned the 2014 Spicy Team and am currently riding the Zesty 827 with a 160 Pike. It's the same frame.

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 22:18 Quote
boostmad wrote:
IamSeaDevil wrote:

Not quite
They have different rear shock lengths and shock shuttles too. And the geometry is slightly different.

Fitting the 160 to the front of mine lifted my front a tiny bit but I only lost around 1/4 of a degree in head angle. If you don't like the very slightly slacker feel, drop a stem size.

Hi I own 2015 Zesty AM 327. Anyone can confirm the the head angle for both Spicy and Zesty difference by changing travel of the fork?

I am thinking of upgrading my fork and shock with 160mm travel for enduro style of riding.

Thanks

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 22:21 Quote
cheewooi wrote:
boostmad wrote:
IamSeaDevil wrote:

Not quite

Hi I own 2015 Zesty AM 327. Anyone can confirm the the head angle for both Spicy and Zesty difference by changing travel of the fork?

I am thinking of upgrading my fork and shock with 160mm travel for enduro style of riding.

Thanks

The head angle will change very little, around 0.3-0.4 degrees difference. That extra bit of travel won't kill you on the ups but shred down the downs!

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 0:50 Quote
Fazeless wrote:
cheewooi wrote:
boostmad wrote:

Not quite

Thanks

The head angle will change very little, around 0.3-0.4 degrees difference. That extra bit of travel won't kill you on the ups but shred down the downs!

Ok, Another question, the original Zesty comes with 32mm stanchion fork. Would upgrade to 34mm makes a difference with the same travel say 150mm?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009616
Mobile Version of Website