Brake Replacement?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Brake Replacement?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 19, 2014 at 18:44 Quote
Hey guys,
Been doing a lot of looking, and all I can find is stuff about different types of brake pad materials. My question is what do I look for on my brake pads and/or rotors to see if I need to replace either? I honestly haven't taken very good care of my brakes or rotors, and the braking performance has gone down the drain. They are also 2 years old and the pads or rotors have never been replaced. What should I look for that tell me I need new pads or rotors? Thanks guys.

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2014 at 23:41 Quote
This Link is for park tools website. The "Brake Pad Removal and Replacement" segment gives a good idea what to look for on the pads. For the rotor, I swear I've seen a similar service bulletin somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment. Once a rotor is worn thin enough you can see a gap when you run a straight edge perpendicular to the braking surface. Whichever brake system you are using, you might be able to find some specifications online, which you could just measure with a micrometer to confirm. If both are good then the loss in breaking performance could be from contaminants.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 4:17 Quote
TwoWheelMike wrote:
This Link is for park tools website. The "Brake Pad Removal and Replacement" segment gives a good idea what to look for on the pads. For the rotor, I swear I've seen a similar service bulletin somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment. Once a rotor is worn thin enough you can see a gap when you run a straight edge perpendicular to the braking surface. Whichever brake system you are using, you might be able to find some specifications online, which you could just measure with a micrometer to confirm. If both are good then the loss in breaking performance could be from contaminants.

Thanks man. Ive also been looking at just getting a new brake set all together. Elixir 5s kinda suck. But I'm a little confused on what exactly I need as far as mounting options. I ride the 2013 Specialized status 2 with a 200mm front and 180mm rear rotors. When i get the new brakes i want to get the same size, but can i just get the brakes and the rotors and use the current mount that is already on the bike? or do i need to get a new mount for that specific brake set? Im looking at getting shimano saints or the avid code r. when i look at the saints, there are 2 types of mounts for the front brake, there is the 'post to post', or the 'front post to international standard'. which one do i need? or can i just use my current mounts?

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 9:41 Quote
You can use the existing mounts. Shimano over avids every day of the week!

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 9:44 Quote
If you're spending reasonable money take a look at hope tech 3 ' s. Excellent brakes and very easy to maintain

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 10:53 Quote
MendipsJim wrote:
If you're spending reasonable money take a look at hope tech 3 ' s. Excellent brakes and very easy to maintain

Was going to say the same thing. They run in the same price range as the saints, and have WAY more modulation. The tech 3 v4 is what will be the best match for the status.

As for the mounts, I think if you had avid brakes installed I think you need new mounts. I'm not 100% sure , but I remember there being something weird with the spacing, which would make the caliper not contact the disc in the middle of the braking track. I know there is more info on the interwebs somewhere.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 11:23 Quote
TwoWheelMike wrote:
MendipsJim wrote:

Was going to say the same thing. They run in the same price range as the saints, and have WAY more modulation. The tech 3 v4 is what will be the best match for the status.

As for the mounts, I think if you had avid brakes installed I think you need new mounts. I'm not 100% sure , but I remember there being something weird with the spacing, which would make the caliper not contact the disc in the middle of the braking track. I know there is more info on the interwebs somewhere.

okay, if i were to go with the saints, would the avids mount be okay with the saints? I know the saints have a 203mm rotor. does that play into the mounting options?

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 11:33 Quote
Ok so what is was, is that the adapter needs to match up with the rotor size. So if you want to use the 203mm saint rotor, you will need the adapter as well.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 14:36 Quote
TwoWheelMike wrote:
Ok so what is was, is that the adapter needs to match up with the rotor size. So if you want to use the 203mm saint rotor, you will need the adapter as well.

Oh okay. Gotcha thanks man. I'm probably going to go with Saints.

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 at 17:10 Quote
Just placed an order for some saints. Ive been reading some stuff of breaking them in... ride at a moderately-slow pace, and slowly/evenly apply the brakes until at a walking pace. doing this about 20 times. could someone help me out and explain to me why this is needed? and what will happen if i don't properly break them in? also, I've used auto brake clean on my past brake pads / rotors, is this okay to use? i don't want to screw up the new saints! thanks y'all.

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 at 19:02 Quote
Burning in the brakes it's called,it brings the pads closer and then you readjust the brake caliper.Dont use brake rotor cleaner because the material composition is different and could wreck your brake pads or disc rotor

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 at 19:28 Quote
p2mine wrote:
Burning in the brakes it's called,it brings the pads closer and then you readjust the brake caliper.Dont use brake rotor cleaner because the material composition is different and could wreck your brake pads or disc rotor

what do you use to clean the brakes (pads and rotor)?

O+
Posted: Dec 24, 2014 at 22:30 Quote
patch92 wrote:
p2mine wrote:

I've always just used isopropyl alcohol.

The initial break in for brakes is called "bedding in", not burning in, and after the brake has been bed it shouldn't require any adjustment. The purpose is to provide you with the best brake performance.

Here's a snippet from tirerack.com. They are talking about cars but the base idea is the same regardless.

"All brake pads must be bedded-in with the rotor they will be used against to maximize brake performance. The bedding-in process involves a gradual build up of heat in the rotors and pad compound. This process will lay down a thin layer of transfer film on to the rotor surface. Following the bed-in procedures provided by the manufacturer will assure a smooth, even layer of transfer film on the rotor and will minimize brake judder."

Posted: Dec 25, 2014 at 4:26 Quote
TwoWheelMike wrote:
patch92 wrote:
p2mine wrote:

I've always just used isopropyl alcohol.

The initial break in for brakes is called "bedding in", not burning in, and after the brake has been bed it shouldn't require any adjustment. The purpose is to provide you with the best brake performance.

Here's a snippet from tirerack.com. They are talking about cars but the base idea is the same regardless.

"All brake pads must be bedded-in with the rotor they will be used against to maximize brake performance. The bedding-in process involves a gradual build up of heat in the rotors and pad compound. This process will lay down a thin layer of transfer film on to the rotor surface. Following the bed-in procedures provided by the manufacturer will assure a smooth, even layer of transfer film on the rotor and will minimize brake judder."

Okay that makes sense. Thanks man. Now one more question. Haha sorry I'm a noob when it comes to brakes. But you said isopropyl alcohol to clean the brakes. Do you just spray a little on the pads and rotors and wipe them down with a clean rag? Do you soak them in the alcohol? Scrub them? I Just don't want to ruin the new brakes on my first clean. Thanks again.

Posted: Dec 25, 2014 at 6:29 Quote
Squirt alcohol onto a clean rag or paper towel then wipe the brake pads.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022936
Mobile Version of Website