Winter practice bike.

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Winter practice bike.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 11:30 Quote
Hi all,

Im getting into a bit of enduro/downhill biking but its hard getting to my local trail whilst the sun's still up (UK winter time), so being new to it and mtb'ing in general I am trying to up my overall skill level, manuals, wheelies, bunny hops that sort of thing.

The trouble is i've bought my enduro bike which weighs around 34+ lbs and have found taking this around my local area (car parks mostly) and trying to practice is a little.....hard work. My question is should I keep practicing on my full suspension enduro or pick up a street/bmx style bike to practice these skills on. Would getting better on a street bike in the winter transfer to my summer trail riding.

Any advice would be great.

Regards Gareth.

Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 11:39 Quote
good idea if you have the cash and the space
skills will definitely transfer even though the bikes feel totally different

I found learning dirt jumps and riding occasional street has helped my confidence in dh massively

Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 11:47 Quote
nordland071285 wrote:
good idea if you have the cash and the space
skills will definitely transfer even though the bikes feel totally different

I found learning dirt jumps and riding occasional street has helped my confidence in dh massively

Can I also just put a load of points in "jumping" skill via my Pipboy 3000?

Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 12:10 Quote
Also can anyone suggest a good bike for a 6'1" dude that knows squat!

Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 15:49 Quote
grasshead wrote:

What about indoor/outdoor skate/bike park? Is that going to be an option? Or just street?

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 2:07 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
grasshead wrote:

What about indoor/outdoor skate/bike park? Is that going to be an option? Or just street?

There is a bmx track close by but again thats outdoors. Im sure there will be an indoor place within driving distance but for a 34 year guy with a beard in the north of england I might get a few funny looks. I think I will pick up a dirt/street/bmx type bike - just doing some research on them as I dont really know what im looking for at this point

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 6:41 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/sublimewind/Bike%20Pics/20140118_162612.jpg
Just a thought...

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 11:49 Quote
grasshead wrote:
Hi all,

Im getting into a bit of enduro/downhill biking but its hard getting to my local trail whilst the sun's still up (UK winter time), so being new to it and mtb'ing in general I am trying to up my overall skill level, manuals, wheelies, bunny hops that sort of thing.

The trouble is i've bought my enduro bike which weighs around 34+ lbs and have found taking this around my local area (car parks mostly) and trying to practice is a little.....hard work. My question is should I keep practicing on my full suspension enduro or pick up a street/bmx style bike to practice these skills on. Would getting better on a street bike in the winter transfer to my summer trail riding.

Any advice would be great.

Regards Gareth.

grasshead wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:
grasshead wrote:

There is a bmx track close by but again thats outdoors. Im sure there will be an indoor place within driving distance but for a 34 year guy with a beard in the north of england I might get a few funny looks. I think I will pick up a dirt/street/bmx type bike - just doing some research on them as I dont really know what im looking for at this point

1. I am getting the sense that a 20"-wheel BMX bike would be a poor choice for you. First, you're 6'1" and 34. (True, there are plenty of 6'1" 30+ bmx riders, but I know from experience talking with and observing lots of riders that most MTB riders who don't already have a BMX background find 20" BMX to be very awkward, and even more so if they're tall).

2. Next, what about a 22"-wheel BMX? 22"s are a rare-but-cool option. Faction Bikes in the UK makes a bike called the Faction Amero 22". It will still feel very close to a 20" bmx, but just a little more comfortable and faster on bumpier surfaces.

3. What about a 24"-wheel BMX? This is is the best option if you are going to do BMX. There are two categories--race and dirt/park/street (i.e. "freestyle" or anything besides race). Bikes like the Stolen Saint 24", We The People Atlas 24", Sunday Model C and Wave C 24" could be considered.

4. What about 24" MTB-DJ/park? Although they're cool, 24"-specific mtb park/street/DJ bikes are more of a niche option. Note, I'm not talking about a "youth" mtb with 24" wheels. We're talking about a 24" wheel MTB for adult riders who want to do more technical riding--like for street and skatepark tricks. Note that Danny MacAskill, of Scotland, usually rides a 24"-wheel street-trials crossover bike. Chris Akrigg also rides street/trials--although he seems to ride both 24" and 26". Look up their videos on youtube.

5. What about 26" MTB-DJ (Dirt Jumper)? I think this would be the best for you. It will be closer to the MTB's you're familiar with, but will also be maneuverable to learn bunnyhops, manuals, jumping, etc. etc. You can even ride it on the BMX track or in the skateparks. DJ bikes these days are usually singlespeed with one brake (rear). However, there are still some out there that have 1X9 gearing and two brakes (often these are categorized as 4x ("4-cross") bikes because it refers to a discipline in mountainside bmx-ish track racing on mtb's where people want/need gears plus two brakes).

This bike is in Northern England. It's a size Medium; a Large would be better for you, but you could probably still ride a Medium
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1683761/

This one is a Large:
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1693101/

This 2011 NS Suburban is Large also, and would be an excellent choice. It already has taller bars (e.g. 3" rise) which is good for your height. 22.5" top tube is considered Large for a DJ bike:
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1677107/
photo

Also, this one:
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1666021/
photo

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 at 2:31 Quote
Ok - First off thanks for taking the time to post all that you've helped a lot.

Im going to have a look at all those options - watch some youtube videos like you suggested. I have a single speed 29er that I use for XC and love it to bits so I like the sound of a single speed DJ.

Let me get some knowledge under my belt an i'll post pics of any bike I get.

Thanks again, Gaz

Posted: Dec 25, 2014 at 9:38 Quote
grasshead wrote:
Ok - First off thanks for taking the time to post all that you've helped a lot.

Im going to have a look at all those options - watch some youtube videos like you suggested. I have a single speed 29er that I use for XC and love it to bits so I like the sound of a single speed DJ.

Let me get some knowledge under my belt an i'll post pics of any bike I get.

Thanks again, Gaz

Look up Martin Soderstrom. He's riding 26"s and does a lot of tech street and park in addition to Dirt Jumps.
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/127309/

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010325
Mobile Version of Website