2008 Trance X2 Issues

PB Forum :: Giant
2008 Trance X2 Issues
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 23:26 Quote
Hi all,

I bought a used 2008 Giant Trance X2 used a while back. I have put a lot of money into making it a formidable riding machine, far more that it already was. I will give a little summary of the components it had and the ones that I added.

Fork: 2010 Rock Shox Revelation Dual Air with U Turn (20mm thru axle)
Tires: Maxis Ardent
Front hub: DT Swiss 350
Rear hub: Original
Rims: Original
Bars: A really wide set of Core Torsion bars (2014 alloy)
Stem: No clue, it's pretty short, not original
Breaks: Shimano BR M395 Hydraulic
Rotors: Avid G2CS (180mm front, 160mm rear)
Chainguide: E13 LG1 (white)
Rear derailur: Saram X9 9 speed
Cassete: PG950 11-34
Shifter: X9 9 speed trigger
Cable: Jagwire Ripcord
Shock: Fox Float R
Cranks: Race Face Ride XC (original, quite weird)
Front chainring: E13 36 tooth guide ring
Bottom Bracket: was a Race Face X type, now a Shimano 105 X type

So you're probably wondering if I even have a problem. Never fear, I do. I recently installed a new BB because the old one was well......old and not doing so great. I replaced it with a Shimano 105 X type. In Theroy this should work, but in practice I've hit my share of walls. I have good bike mechanic skills and a nice stand so I did the install myself. Pulled the chain guide, chain, guide ring, and finally used a crank puller to get the cranks off. No problems there. My BB tools was missing so I pulled the old one off with a 15 lb pipe wrench instead, worked fine. Manged to borrow a BB tool from my dudes at Big Tree and installed the new BB. Put my spacers in, chain guide retention bracket and proceded to re-assemble and lube every part with Oneball grease. Went to get on my bike to find that my cranks would not turn because somehow the cranks still had TONS of slop side to side. I thought to myself "whatever, probably installed the BB without enough spacers". So I pulled the drive terrain apart again, and put in every spacer I had, because somehow my cranks are EXTREMELY wide! No slop there, but now the BB was so wide it was not forming a watertight seal in the slightest. Huge gap between the non drive side and drive side BB parts. So I removed one spacer only to find that the slop returned, along with noise whenever the cranks would slip to the non drive side and pull the guide ring and chain into the chain guide. When this happened it obviously got harder to pedal and sounded downright awfull. Adding to that, even with the spacer removed I still could not get the BB to form a seal. So my question is, what's up with my cranks? Keep in mind that the chainguide retention bracket is 3ish spacers wide, so in order for the cranks I have to fit one would need an ABSURD number of spacers. Any help would be great, thanks guys.

Posted: Jan 2, 2015 at 2:36 Quote
Had the same problem,

I got a 2009 trance X2 black medium. The RACEFACE BB was worn, so pulled the RF RIDE chainset off and refitted a SUPERSTAR ceramic BB of the same dimensions.

I fitted the new spacers 2 and 1 as per the original BB and still had about 3mm left on the crank!!!

Now i run 2 spacers on each side and works fine.

Contacted SUPERSTAR and was assured BB was direct fit.

Dont know why it never went together the same as before.

Dan

Posted: Jan 6, 2015 at 11:24 Quote
Injury-prone, I'm pretty sure the problem you have is the 105 groupset is for road bikes, therefore the 105 bottom bracket is for road cranks, which have a different length axle.

If you still have your old bottom bracket, measure the width of the bearing cups from the face which sits against the frame to the outside edge the of the plastice dust shield which the cranks press against. Then do the same measurement on the 105 cups, I'm sure the 105 cups are narrower. I think...

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 11:26 Quote
stodd wrote:
Injury-prone, I'm pretty sure the problem you have is the 105 groupset is for road bikes, therefore the 105 bottom bracket is for road cranks, which have a different length axle.

If you still have your old bottom bracket, measure the width of the bearing cups from the face which sits against the frame to the outside edge the of the plastice dust shield which the cranks press against. Then do the same measurement on the 105 cups, I'm sure the 105 cups are narrower. I think...

Yeah, I found the box and it's not a 105. It's a Deore of some sort. I talked to the guys at big tree the other day and was informed that Shimano BBs are about 5mm smaller than RaceFace BBs. Spindle spacer fixed the problem. Thanks a bunch guys.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009919
Mobile Version of Website