Marzocchi DJ 1 fork

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Marzocchi DJ 1 fork
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2015 at 18:49 Quote
This might have been asked before, but I've been trying to find a forum on the marzocchi Dj 1! Anyways here's my question.

What is this noise I'm hearing when ever I hit a jump or manual after compressing the spring and getting the wheel off the ground, it makes a really loud noise!! I've never had a shock do this(maybe just needs to be broken in) It doesn't seem like it should make this loud ass noise!

The noise seems like a loud bang, after being compressed, usually happens in the air once the spring is not compressed anymore...

Posted: Jan 7, 2015 at 13:22 Quote
casedogsupreme wrote:
This might have been asked before, but I've been trying to find a forum on the marzocchi Dj 1! Anyways here's my question.

What is this noise I'm hearing when ever I hit a jump or manual after compressing the spring and getting the wheel off the ground, it makes a really loud noise!! I've never had a shock do this(maybe just needs to be broken in) It doesn't seem like it should make this loud ass noise!

The noise seems like a loud bang, after being compressed, usually happens in the air once the spring is not compressed anymore...

The old Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro that came stock on various bikes was also known for doing that. As I'm not an expert on fork internals, I can't tell you why exactly, but I do know that on that Dirt Jam Pro fork, I changed the fork oil for a heavier weight oil, and it helped the problem a lot (although it still does it in a milder way).

Posted: Jan 8, 2015 at 1:43 Quote
Rebound, all marzochi Dj have this funny thing :} try to make it slower, and it will be gone.

Posted: Jan 8, 2015 at 17:42 Quote
I've tried faster and slower rebound still traveling back at light speed haha! I will probably just deal with it hope it goes away...

Posted: Jan 8, 2015 at 17:44 Quote
If it doesn't go away, I will try the heavier weight oil just to lazy to change it!!

Posted: Jan 9, 2015 at 0:11 Quote
this is second reason why that is happening.. Oil :} not enough of it

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 23:38 Quote
i have the same situation with my dj1. i contacted Marzocchi about it and their lead tech told me "Your Marzocchi DJ fork is working fine, the top out noise is fairly normal and wont jeopardize performance in any way. You can play a bit with your oil height but go don’t go too extreme, focus on adding a bit of oil on the Non-Air side."

when i got my fork the oil levels were way off. my left leg (non air) side was correct with 50ml, but my right fork leg only had about 100ml when it should have had 145ml. it still makes the noise after fixing the oil levels, but i just ignore it now.

the noise annoyed me at first, but now i don't even notice it.

Posted: May 27, 2015 at 8:57 Quote
I have a DJ1 2014

and it makes the same noise ... a clangy banging sound when I hit ... probably the coil smacking the inside of the stanchion. I to tried adding oil but no change so far, the next step is to try 10 wgt I guess, stock oil is 7.5 right? Also, I read somewhere else about maybe HEAT-SHRINK PLASTIC around the springs??? Seams like a lot of work, geez. Tried playing with the rebound, that did nothing.

Then I took a look at the other internal parts (besides the push rods) at the bottom of the inner legs ... they rattle a bit, and other than adding heavy grease, I wouldn't know how to quiet them up.

I guess I'm getting used to the noise, but sometimes it's kinda distracting.

FL
Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 15:12 Quote
2017 DJ1 top-out feels and sounds like shit. Came here hoping to find a solution. Sorry I bought this discount tugboat anchor. Going back to the rigid Identiti fork.

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 15:22 Quote
Almost every fork I've ever bought had low oil. Always double check even if new.
Did you verify the correct oil amount?
Second, if the oil amount is correct does the rebound adjustment affect rebound speed at all? If not, then the rebound cartridge is bad.

Overall Zokes are pretty darn reliable if heavy forks. Fairly bulletproof.

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 18:56 Quote
This member specializes in Mazocchi fork rebuilds & service...might have some mods to eliminate that noise...

MarzocchiMark

www.mtbforksbymark.com

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 19:43 Quote
endlessblockades wrote:
2017 DJ1 top-out feels and sounds like shit. Came here hoping to find a solution. Sorry I bought this discount tugboat anchor. Going back to the rigid Identiti fork.

I just had a similar issue with mine, how much air pressure are you running?

I was over aired and the rebound was maxed out. This clearly was not a good combo. I'm sure you've checked this but just figured I'd mention it because I was feeling the same way as you. Once the air and rebound were dialed, no more harsh top out. Also I guess it's worth mentioning that my oil levels were spot on.

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 at 7:50 Quote
I had a 2006 Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro and it had the top out issue. I added some heavier weight oil and it helped somewhat. However, it's true, the top out didn't seem to affect the performance. I still have that fork on an old bike that I loan to friends.

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 1:34 Quote
I too bought the 2017 DJ1 fork at a discount. Really harsh topout too, and noisy.

FL
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 14:11 Quote
sheephills wrote:
I too bought the 2017 DJ1 fork at a discount. Really harsh topout too, and noisy.

I replaced it with a Circus Expert - if anyone figures out how to make those discount DJ-1s work, let us know!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013146
Mobile Version of Website