2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 18:46 Quote
Can I fit a 150mm dropper in a M size alloy reign?, I am like 1.73m and I want to run a 150mm dropper, it will fit? It is 440mm long, cheers

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 18:48 Quote
fleon12 wrote:
Can I fit a 150mm dropper in a M size alloy reign?, I am like 1.73m and I want to run a 150mm dropper, it will fit? It is 440mm long, cheers

Yes you can I have a 2015 reign 1 medium with a 150mm reverb on it

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 18:50 Quote
JoeDown wrote:
fleon12 wrote:

Thanks dude, nice to hear that, will look into the dropper this week

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 18:51 Quote
bigredride wrote:
Boxxer1237 wrote:
bigredride wrote:

i have one. What do you want to see?
Yes please!

I'm confused what you actually want to see?
The bike.

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 20:49 Quote
Just google some pictures of it?

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 22:45 Quote
Boxxer1237 wrote:
bigredride wrote:
Boxxer1237 wrote:
Does anyone have a 2016 advanced 1 I could see?

Yes please!
Outstanding. lol

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 22:51 Quote
Mrbeau wrote:
Boxxer1237 wrote:
bigredride wrote:

Yes please!
Outstanding. lol
that is me answering the prompt of my college papers lol

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 0:01 Quote
Hi guys,

My new Giant arrived this week. It's a 2016 model 1.5 LTD (this one). Couldn't wait for the weekend to send it Cool

photo

My first impressions are that it is a completely different beast than my previous Scott Genius LT 40. Much longer and harder to lift the front up. I'm 5'8 and ordered M. It still feels huge, but I suppose I'll get used to it.
I already had two rides and have some questions about the shock and the tires.

The shock is Monarch Plus Debonair R. It's currently at 260 psi (I'm 190lbs with gear) for 35% sag. Overall it feels good, never felt harsh bottom, even on bigger drops. However when gently sitting on the bike, at first the shock moves very easy, then somewhere after the 10% sag mark it gets a bit stiff and after that it suddenly becomes smooth again. Something like being a bit regressive at first, then super progressive, then more linear. Or like there's some kind of a threshold (or platform) that the shock needs to overcome to become plush again. I don't know how to describe it better. Is this normal and will it improve over time as the shock breaks in? I doesn't seem to be affecting the ride. I have tried several times to fully repressurize it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The second question is about the stock tires - Schwalbe Hans Dampf Performance. I didn't like at all how the frontend behaved... I am used to riding Minions and High Rollers. Our trails are mostly dusty and rocky with deep ruts from time to time. At first I was riding with a bit harder front tire to prevent punctures, but felt the front was washing out way too easily and it was getting scary. I lowered the pressure under 30 psi, but then the tire started to feel wobbly. I even did one OTB in a berm when the carcass folded so much that it ate a handful of pine needles and I had to deflate it to get them out. Is this tire really that bad? I am happy with the weight and don't want to put back the heavier tires, but this behavior is not really confidence inspiring...

One last thing I noticed is that the rear derailleur cable constantly tightens at the chain stay and I have to pull it from the frame, otherwise I can't use the last 2 gears after some riding. Anyone with similar experience?

Sorry if those were asked previously. I tried to find similar questions with the search without luck. I'm reading the whole thread, but it will take me weeks probably Smile

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 4:16 Quote
I'd say the shock thing is normal for the Monarch, but haven't felt the same in few Fox shocks that I had on previous bikes.

For the front end, IMHO, that is due to less grippier tires and longer reach. You will have to adjust your stance on the bike and be a little more up front, on the bars. Had similar feeling while changing from Slash to Reign. Depends of how much advanced rider you are, but for me it had taken a few months to become more relaxed and to really push the bike more and be overall faster than before. I'd say I really had to improve my body position an all the things pros do in their riding.

For the rear mech, just clamp the housing before it enters the chainstay so it doeasnt move in. I did it with a normal zip tie and it works. You can pinch the cable housing with pliers a little so the zipper stays and the housing doeasn't move.

If you still don't have sounds from the internal routing, you can also solve it with some zip ties.

Enjoy the bike - it is a fast beast!

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 7:56 Quote
fleon12 wrote:
JoeDown wrote:
fleon12 wrote:

Thanks dude, nice to hear that, will look into the dropper this week

it will fit, yes. But it won't go all the way into the seat tube due to the rocker link and the bend in the seat tube. My 150mm giant dropper has about 1cm of lower exposed when slammed, so on a medium it'll have around 5cm exposed.

If you're expecting to slam it into the frame, you'll be disappointed.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 7:59 Quote
also, any schwalbe tyre with the word "performance" on it belongs in the bin. They're shaite.

Evo line snakeskin at the minimum. Never pacestar, always trailstar.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 8:04 Quote
Vuco wrote:
I'd say the shock thing is normal for the Monarch, but haven't felt the same in few Fox shocks that I had on previous bikes.

For the front end, IMHO, that is due to less grippier tires and longer reach. You will have to adjust your stance on the bike and be a little more up front, on the bars. Had similar feeling while changing from Slash to Reign. Depends of how much advanced rider you are, but for me it had taken a few months to become more relaxed and to really push the bike more and be overall faster than before. I'd say I really had to improve my body position an all the things pros do in their riding.

For the rear mech, just clamp the housing before it enters the chainstay so it doeasnt move in. I did it with a normal zip tie and it works. You can pinch the cable housing with pliers a little so the zipper stays and the housing doeasn't move.

If you still don't have sounds from the internal routing, you can also solve it with some zip ties.

So you noticed the same on your Monarch too? If yes, then I'll leave this at peace. The shock seems to be working pretty well otherwise Smile
You are probably right about me not used to the longer Reign. The old Genius had thought me to lean back to prevent OTB's, but with the Reign this probably unweights the front too much. Thanks for the info.
Oh and yes the cables do rattle a lot inside the frame. How do you fix them with zip ties?
I will probably buy myself a set of Maxxis HR2's with Exo casing for lighter weight. They seem to be only 80 or so grams heavier than the HD's.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 8:31 Quote
jacket wrote:
Vuco wrote:

The first thing I replace were the tires, supergravity schwalbe are very good, also tried specialized grid and wtb tough casing, for me that I am a heavy rider, good support from tires is a need

So you noticed the same on your Monarch too? If yes, then I'll leave this at peace. The shock seems to be working pretty well otherwise Smile
You are probably right about me not used to the longer Reign. The old Genius had thought me to lean back to prevent OTB's, but with the Reign this probably unweights the front too much. Thanks for the info.
Oh and yes the cables do rattle a lot inside the frame. How do you fix them with zip ties?
I will probably buy myself a set of Maxxis HR2's with Exo casing for lighter weight. They seem to be only 80 or so grams heavier than the HD's.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 9:08 Quote
jacket wrote:
Hi guys,

My new Giant arrived this week. It's a 2016 model 1.5 LTD (this one). Couldn't wait for the weekend to send it Cool

photo

My first impressions are that it is a completely different beast than my previous Scott Genius LT 40. Much longer and harder to lift the front up. I'm 5'8 and ordered M. It still feels huge, but I suppose I'll get used to it.
I already had two rides and have some questions about the shock and the tires.

The shock is Monarch Plus Debonair R. It's currently at 260 psi (I'm 190lbs with gear) for 35% sag. Overall it feels good, never felt harsh bottom, even on bigger drops. However when gently sitting on the bike, at first the shock moves very easy, then somewhere after the 10% sag mark it gets a bit stiff and after that it suddenly becomes smooth again. Something like being a bit regressive at first, then super progressive, then more linear. Or like there's some kind of a threshold (or platform) that the shock needs to overcome to become plush again. I don't know how to describe it better. Is this normal and will it improve over time as the shock breaks in? I doesn't seem to be affecting the ride. I have tried several times to fully repressurize it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The second question is about the stock tires - Schwalbe Hans Dampf Performance. I didn't like at all how the frontend behaved... I am used to riding Minions and High Rollers. Our trails are mostly dusty and rocky with deep ruts from time to time. At first I was riding with a bit harder front tire to prevent punctures, but felt the front was washing out way too easily and it was getting scary. I lowered the pressure under 30 psi, but then the tire started to feel wobbly. I even did one OTB in a berm when the carcass folded so much that it ate a handful of pine needles and I had to deflate it to get them out. Is this tire really that bad? I am happy with the weight and don't want to put back the heavier tires, but this behavior is not really confidence inspiring...

One last thing I noticed is that the rear derailleur cable constantly tightens at the chain stay and I have to pull it from the frame, otherwise I can't use the last 2 gears after some riding. Anyone with similar experience?

Sorry if those were asked previously. I tried to find similar questions with the search without luck. I'm reading the whole thread, but it will take me weeks probably Smile

From your photo, you seem to be riding dry and loose terrain. I find that the Has Dampf under performs in these conditions, especially on the front. Its not bad in the rear but I find is way less predicable than a minion or HRII.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 10:36 Quote
jacket wrote:
Yes, but I have the low level Monarch R (not the plus model). When my Fox behaved like that, it was in need of service. Just forget about it since you can't feel it while riding.

I went from 430mm reach with 70mm stem to Reign L 2015 which is 460mm reach and 50mm stem. I'll try shorter stem, like 31mm (Apex) or 35mm.

I'm a "soft" rider and with 92kg I ride races and do the usual training with a Magic Mary (EVO, Snakeskin, 835g) in front and a Schwalbe Nobby Nic behind or even a lighter tire like the Onza Canis (which is like 650g). Just watch the pressures and that's it. **Knocking on wood 3 times**

Regarding the rattling inside the frame, I asked the same question and got answer to put 4 zip ties under 90° around the cable housing and then push it inside the frame. The zip ties will go round the frame inside and won't let the housing touch the frame. I didn't try it for now...
Look here:
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=166760&pagenum=326#commentid6255003

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016303
Mobile Version of Website