2010 demo 8 spring rate?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2010 demo 8 spring rate?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 15:31 Quote
Looking for any recommendations on spring rate and/or settings for my dhx rc4 equipped 2010 demo 8. Fully loaded I wheigh 225lbs and currently have a 600lb spring installed. The only real issues I'm having are #1 sag seems excessive (roughly 40 to 50%) and it tends to buck me off my pedals at high speeds on rapid successive square edge bumps. Am I asking too much of my shock or bike? I've tried playing with the air pressure between 125 and 200 psi, and all the other adjustments. Nothing seems to eliminate this problem. I'm leaning towards I need a lighter weight spring, but the sag suggests otherwise. ?????

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 5:05 Quote
I'd go up 50lbs in spring weight and also add some high speed rebound and take away a little high speed compression

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 8:13 Quote
I have been thinking of a 650lb spring. I've just never experienced this with any other bike or shock.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2015 at 8:23 Quote
Little late to the party, but in case you need more info.

I ran a 550 lbs rated spring on my 09 demo 8 and it worked great for my ~195 lbs. 650 lbs seems a bit excessive, Id try to find a 625 if you could.

Whenever I get my shocks rebuilt I ask them to squish the spring on their machine (forget what its called) to tell me what the rating actually is. For reference I just bought a 350 lbs spring for the new bike that tested at 330 lbs. It worked out fine in the end but it just goes to show you that your 600 lbs spring may actually be as low as 580 lbs, which would help cause the problem you are seeing. But also note it could go the other way and a new 625 lbs spring could be actually 640 lbs.

This is where those new Ohlins springs and other fancy manufacturers shine. You can get your springs in 25 lbs increments and the tolerance is a lot tighter, so whats stamped on the spring is really close to what it actually is. But you pay a premium for that.

Posted: Feb 18, 2015 at 13:10 Quote
Thanks for the tip. I just took my frame to the bike shop to have the bearings replaced. Some of them were so bad you couldn't move em by hand. One the bike though, just compressing the suspension, I couldn't feel anything. I'm starting to wonder if this may have been my issue as well. Granted the sag should be 30 %~ . I also had the shock rebuilt and am waiting for a few new parts to finally see if this may have fixed it. All the bikes I've had, I've never experienced this before. Even with way too soft of a spring.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009324
Mobile Version of Website