More than just bar rise. The perfect front end height for you?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
More than just bar rise. The perfect front end height for you?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 8:57 Quote
I'm looking to gather info from other riders who feel that, THROUGH EXPERIMENTING WITH DIFFERENT SET UPS, believe that they have found the ideal front end rise/height for them.

To be clear, for the sake of this thread, by front end I mean above the headtube, since below is fairly standard.

Before you post. HANDLEBAR RISE ALONE IS IRRELEVANT. The headset cover, spacers (or lack of) and rise/drop of your stem will also impact the total rise of your front end.

The easiest way to do this is to put a flat rule/flat piece of wood etc across your handlebars and then measure from the underside of the rule/wood (level with the top of your grips) straight down the middle to the top of your headtube.

This will give you the total rise/height of your front end, including all contributing parts.

This is handy to know for you if you replace contributing parts, but also (if enough people contribute and give a little info about themselves like they're height, preferred typre of riding etc) we may be able to see correlations which will make it easier for others to find the front end set up that works for them.

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 0:42 Quote
Too many people are buying big bars because they're cool but don't realise they're probably too big for them. I'm 6' and ride cult chase hawk bars (8.5") a Sunday freeze topload stem (30mm stack iirc) and 10mm stack of headset cover/spacers. It works well for me, definitely wouldn't go bigger as it would make me less stable when trying to hop high etc. I've also cut my bars down about 10mm each side and still hold my grips right on the inside. Wide bars also make you less stable

Posted: Apr 26, 2015 at 12:52 Quote
See I ride with a sexton stem and shadow vultus 9.5" bars, but I have the new odyssey headset with a cut steerer tube and 3mm of spacers. So even though the bars are an inch larger than the guy above, the actual height is approximately the same.

Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 7:58 Quote
Icantbmx wrote:
See I ride with a sexton stem and shadow vultus 9.5" bars, but I have the new odyssey headset with a cut steerer tube and 3mm of spacers. So even though the bars are an inch larger than the guy above, the actual height is approximately the same.

Exactly. Bar height alone doesn't give you a great idea of the overall height your riding.
I was hoping this thread would be a little more popular so we could get a decent ammount of info from different riders.

So would you guys say the overall height your riding now works for you? If so, whats your height and the overall rise of your front end from the headtube?

J

Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 13:54 Quote
Currently mines about 280mm/11 inches. Tht sounds so dirty reading it back lol. Over the lat 18 months since I got back into riding I've tried about 10mm higher with spacers and it was too much, and I've tried about 30mm lower with a front load, finally settling on what I've got now. hops were better and I felt I had more control with a lower front end but I just prefer riding the way it is now. I'm 6 foot and almost 200lbs so don't really like leanin over the bars too much. A friend of mine runs the same bars and stem but with about 30mm of spacers. Too high for most but Definitely works for him.

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 12:23 Quote
Tt length will effect overall riding position. As will bb height, angle of your bars, angle of your headtube (which also effects actual tt length) , bar width etc. I don't think much can be gained purely by discussing bar height. Also, everyone's body shape is different which will effect riding position drastically. It's all down to personal preference and riding style. Adding 10mm to your stack will make your bike feel different, but so would a different length stem, or changing the angle of your bars slightly

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2015 at 12:38 Quote
grumpysteve wrote:
Tt length will effect overall riding position. As will bb height, angle of your bars, angle of your headtube (which also effects actual tt length) , bar width etc.

So much this. BB height more than anything will affect all of this data considering you shouldnt be asking for bar rise above the headset but rather bar rise above the bottom bracket.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012520
Mobile Version of Website