Trying to upgrade Trek Marlin 2013, what do you think?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Trying to upgrade Trek Marlin 2013, what do you think?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 22:23 Quote
So I'm relatively new to Mtn biking. This is the first bike I've owned and I'm really enjoying it, and it was pretty affordable. I am noticing that it could use a few upgrades though, and since I'm still a college dude on a budget I'd like to keep that theme.

First of all, the breaks definitely need an upgrade and I'm thinking the Avid BB7's are perfect.
Next, I'd really like to upgrade the shocks, and this is where I need advice. The better/affordable ones I've looked at on this site seem like they're more for 26" bikes. I want something with a little more give, like >130mm. Now, this Trek is a 29er so I'm assuming you can't put shocks for 26" bikes on a 29er, right? So this leaves me wondering what's a good quality fork that I can put on him that's under $400?

As for further upgrades, what would you guys suggest I do? I mainly use this bike for trail riding and some semi technical stuff and hitting small jumps here and there. I'd like it to be more efficient and safe for downhill/technical stuff, that's why I need better brakes and shocks. So what else could improve it for my needs?

Mod O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 22:36 Quote
Personally I would only upgrade something if the part breaks or wears out. In the mean time save as much money as you can and put it towards a new or used bike with a much better all around parts spec.

The bike new ran for around $700, putting a $400 dollar fork on it would just not make sense. Same goes for the brakes you are talking about upgrading your current mechanical brakes to another set of mechanical brakes, not worth it in my opinion.

Like I said already, ride the crap out of it and save your money for an all around better spec'ed bike. You will be much happier with this decision in the long run.

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 9:50 Quote
I fully agree, save your money till you can upgrade the whole bike. I was in this same spot this summer. I bought a lower model Trek to start off and make sure I was going to like the bike scene. I loved it so I wanted to add better shocks and crap to my bike. After researching the cost and the fit issues I decided it was not worth it. I would still be upgrading a heavier frame and etc. I ended up buying a high end bike that was a 2014 model and saved huge just a few weeks ago. Now I am so happy I didn't waste my money trying to upgrade a lower end bike otherwise I would not have been able to buy this new one when I found the huge deal. Now I have a good hardtail bike and a new full suspension bike. Good luck on whatever you end up doing just don't put too much in your bike if you think you can get a better frame and etc. buy just saving and buying new. Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009258
Mobile Version of Website