Cannondale Trail SL 29er Advice - Newbie

PB Forum :: 29ers
Cannondale Trail SL 29er Advice - Newbie
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 6:32 Quote
Hi everyone, I am completely new to this. Just bought my first 29er through the government cycle to work scheme. I can never leave bikes alone. I always have to upgrade the parts and tinker with them. I'm looking for some well built long lasting metal pedals. I'm thinking either DMR V8s and V12s, can anyone advise me?? Also the bolts that can be taken out to fit a bottle cage always seem to rust over time on my bikes and I've seen companies do coloured versions of the Allen key bolts. Can anyone recommend where I could get some from?? Many thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong section. Never used a bike forum before.
Paul.

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 6:04 Quote
Hey Paul,

I've used V8 and V12s and they're both good pedals. The V12 is a particular long-lasting classic. I use Shimano MX-30 pedals at the moment and they're as nice, but I think I'd rather a set of V12s.

As for changing out the bolts. I've got the same bike (or the single speed version) and the bolts have held up fine, though I do keep the bike in a garage and use Loctite to keep them snug.

If you do want to replace the bolts, then most bolts that come in nice colours will be aluminium and that means they're a lot lighter, but prone to sheering if you over-tighten them. Again, use Loctite to reduce the chance of them coming loose.

I'd recommend spending money on tires as a first upgrade for a new bike. Easily the most significant change you can make per £ to offer more comfort, grip and control.

Posted: Feb 2, 2015 at 16:21 Quote
I've used dmr pedals for years v8 and v12s, I used some shimano saint pedals on my 2013 lapierre zesty and they were miles more grippy, especially if you remove the washers on the pins. You can pic a pair up from chainreactioncycles.com for about £35 at the moment too.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008252
Mobile Version of Website