recommend me some riding glasses

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
recommend me some riding glasses
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 25, 2015 at 13:49 Quote
I'm sick of cheap sh*ty riding glasses. They fall off, bounce around, the shaded ones glare like hell in the sun, and today a massive clump of mud managed to make it round them and into my eyes 3 times on the same descent. I've been through 4 pairs over the past 2 years, and no more! Mine are now in the bin - I'd rather spend some dollar on something which actually does the job.

So, what do I get? Which ones will stop mud bouncing into my eyes, not glare in the sun, be fog resistant and scratch resistant and have interchangeable lenses? What do you all use? Or should I just sod it and get some goggles?

Posted: Jan 26, 2015 at 10:22 Quote
my friend rides with spy glasses because he got sponsored and he absolutely loves them. they also look really nice. also oakley radars are really nice glasses. I wouldn't recommend ordering them though unless you are sure they will fit. not sure about fog because my riding conditions are always warm but if they have vents they shouldn't fog up.

Posted: Jan 26, 2015 at 11:00 Quote
I'm running Oakley Radar Lock XLs, they are very good. They only fog up if your sweating and standing still but if your moving there fine.

Posted: Jan 26, 2015 at 12:28 Quote
Oakley radars look good - any thoughts on which lenses? Are the photochromic ones any good?

Posted: Jan 26, 2015 at 13:29 Quote
blahblahbikes wrote:
Oakley radars look good - any thoughts on which lenses? Are the photochromic ones any good?

By photochromic do you mean polarized? Mine are a wine coloured polarized red, in dark wooded sections I need to take them off, I would go with a brighter lense if I was you.

Posted: Jan 26, 2015 at 15:46 Quote
Thanks for all the replies - TheFreney do you have more than 1 lense? Does it fog up at all? I'm getting quite interested in the radars now, reviews look good!

Posted: Jan 26, 2015 at 16:13 Quote
blahblahbikes wrote:
Thanks for all the replies - TheFreney do you have more than 1 lense? Does it fog up at all? I'm getting quite interested in the radars now, reviews look good!

It came with a polarized iridium lense and a standard black one, the black one would be too dark. They only fog if your sweating and staying still but once you start moving they clear straight away. You can get anti fog products anyway but there not needed. I'd go for a bright lense, maybe blue, orange or yellow, the Polarized lenses look amazing in bright colours.

Posted: Jan 26, 2015 at 19:23 Quote
Oakley half jackets with persimmon lenses.

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 10:16 Quote
The Endura Piranhas have served me very well indeed. Very comfy, bike specific and the photochromic lenses work really well. Check CRC.

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 at 8:41 Quote
I know this is a late post but I wanted to throw in some experience here, i'm an Oakley sunglass fanatic (but a reasonable guy too).

The VR28 lens is specifically made for the type of conditions we usually ride in. It's what Oakley calls a "contrast" lens, and due to what they call "HDO technology" (which is really just a clever tint process), the VR28 lens can filter excess light in super bright conditions while ALSO enhancing vision in the shade. I use this lens exclusively for daytime riding, and I can tell you it's phenomenal. You can just put a VR28-equipped pair of shades on and leave them on for the entire ride, no more taking them off in the shade because the lens is too dark...etc. I use a pair of Radarlock "Pitch" frames with a VR28 lens and a Persimmon lens that i keep in the case in my backpack. The persimmon lens is made for low-light conditions and does not work well in the sun. It's the lens I use for my weeknight after-work rides when my group gets held up and doesn't make it back to the parking lot in time...it gets dark very fast in the brush so I just swap my VR28 for the persimmon lens and can keep rolling past sunset.

The G30 lens CAN work in place of the VR28 but it's really made for lower-light than the VR28 so you would want to make sure you get a G30 lens with an iridium coating at least. That will make up for the light tint just enough so you can use it comfortably in the sun.

Oakley's "Grey" tint lenses are too dark for optimal MTB use. You'll find yourself removing black-iridium-equipped shades every time you enter the brush, and that's borderline dangerous when you're flying along on the trail.

Posted: Nov 17, 2015 at 18:01 Quote
The photochromatic are alright. Clear enough for night riding and will take the edge off when the sun is out. The new prism series narrows down the intended uses a bit. The road version works perfect on the road. The golf version is less yellow/brown then the trail version but work fine for me on the trail. Downside is that almost all of oakley's irridium coatings, except the black irridium seem to scratch super easy, and the black are usually to dark for the trails. And they are not inexpensive, even through the outlets. That being said i have 13 different pairs of oakleys back to the original goggle shaped ones. And the lens clarity is the best out there. If you have a dealer that is not buried inside a mall, try the various lens tints in the sun, that helps some. Their websites examples don't do them justice.

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 at 10:48 Quote
Hi guys,
From mud on muddy downhill is not many shades that gonna help you to prevent mud going to your eyes.i have been running many oakleys(bedt shades in the world in my opinion) and not much prevention on fast sections.for xc yes oakleys all day everyday.invest in nice googles.
And about glasses getting foggy there easy home made pattent.Washing up liquid.a bit of if on paper towel and straight on glasses.afterwards clean towel and gently clean the lenses.should work for a while (not always).
Just a quick fix for long rides escrcially in cold countries.regards all
Ride Fast
Ride Free

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 19:26 Quote
blahblahbikes wrote:
I'm sick of cheap sh*ty riding glasses. They fall off, bounce around, the shaded ones glare like hell in the sun, and today a massive clump of mud managed to make it round them and into my eyes 3 times on the same descent. I've been through 4 pairs over the past 2 years, and no more! Mine are now in the bin - I'd rather spend some dollar on something which actually does the job.

So, what do I get? Which ones will stop mud bouncing into my eyes, not glare in the sun, be fog resistant and scratch resistant and have interchangeable lenses? What do you all use? Or should I just sod it and get some goggles?

Spy Screw are the best! Spy has the best warranty too!

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 3:12 Quote
I bought a pair of Tifosi something or others (can’t recall the model name right now) and they have been great so far. The fit is good and they came with three sets of lenses (clear, rose, and dark), and the quality of the lenses is excellent.

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 4:02 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
I bought a pair of Tifosi something or others (can’t recall the model name right now) and they have been great so far. The fit is good and they came with three sets of lenses (clear, rose, and dark), and the quality of the lenses is excellent.

I second the Tifosi glasses. Great price point and great quality. I bought a second pair as safety glasses for work because of how well they fit.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035742
Mobile Version of Website