Trance 1 new owner

PB Forum :: Giant
Trance 1 new owner
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2015 at 14:37 Quote
Picked up a 2015 Trance T1 two weeks back. After a bit of a starting set up I got out a ride yesterday morning and really liked the bike tho there is a few questions I'm hoping can be answered on here.

1, I'm kinda feeling I would like the bars higher, my arms are almost locked out and the front feels way below me. I'm 6"2 and if I move the seat forward to stop this it messes with my legs. So where can I go, any help and links to said parts that fit straight on the bike would be unreal. (size L frame)

2, Rear brakes are squeaking really bad on downhills will this stop as there new or can I pull the pads and grease them like you would with a car?

3, Front brake leaver, how do I get less travel in the leaver before the brakes work. Don't want to go messing with the whole thing and put them up the left.

Any help would be great this is the first real MTB I've bought so to speak. Thanks for your time.

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 16:28 Quote
In response to question 2 and 3, greasing your brakes is one of the worst things that you could do to your brakes, you will lose all braking power and contaminate your brake pads. Go for a few rides with your bike and if the squealing continues clean your rotors with isopropyl rubbing alcohol. In regards to your front brake lever turn the free stroke adjust screw to increase or decrease the lever travel.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 16:41 Quote
1. You don't want to go too high because you'll find the front tire washing out on tight turns. As for changing the height any bar manufacturer will offer different rise options. Renthal, race face, enve, chromag, spank.... Take your pick. 6'2" with a large you shouldn't be too far off being in a pretty good position height wise as it sits. Another option is to keep the bars and shorten your stem from 70mm (stock I think) to a 50mm. Will put you more upright. Again take your pick. Search CRC or Jenson to see what turns your crank.
2. DO NOT GREASE YOUR BRAKES!!! Either they haven't bedded properly or they squeal. Some brakes just do.
3. You can mimic a change in brake bite point by adjusting the lever reach. There should be a set screw or knob that allows you to do this. Some shimano models have a system that supposedly changes bite point but it really doesn't work as advertised. Avid/SRAM have a functional bite point adjust depending on brake model.
Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 12:42 Quote
gtrance13 wrote:
In response to question 2 and 3, greasing your brakes is one of the worst things that you could do to your brakes, you will lose all braking power and contaminate your brake pads. Go for a few rides with your bike and if the squealing continues clean your rotors with isopropyl rubbing alcohol. In regards to your front brake lever turn the free stroke adjust screw to increase or decrease the lever travel.

Hope this helps.
most likely they are talking about greasing the back of the pads where they contact the pistons, which is common to grease on car systems, to reduce squealing, but usually not done on MTB brakes.

OP - often noisy brakes are caused by dragging the brakes out of the box, not bedding in the pads with some hard stops. You could scuff the pads with sandpaper, clean the rotors with alcohol, then try bedding them properly.

position - like was said, moving your bars higher may take too much weight off the front wheel and make it handle poorly. In your case, it might not hurt to move your saddle forward a bit if you feel too stretched out, since that will help keep weight on the front wheel better than raising the bars or shorter stem.

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 13:49 Quote
Thanks for the replies some good info.

Rang the bike shop back there going to let me try a 50mm stem

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 at 17:03 Quote
FuzzySockSucker wrote:
1. You don't want to go too high because you'll find the front tire washing out on tight turns. As for changing the height any bar manufacturer will offer different rise options. Renthal, race face, enve, chromag, spank.... Take your pick. 6'2" with a large you shouldn't be too far off being in a pretty good position height wise as it sits. Another option is to keep the bars and shorten your stem from 70mm (stock I think) to a 50mm. Will put you more upright. Again take your pick. Search CRC or Jenson to see what turns your crank.
2. DO NOT GREASE YOUR BRAKES!!! Either they haven't bedded properly or they squeal. Some brakes just do.
3. You can mimic a change in brake bite point by adjusting the lever reach. There should be a set screw or knob that allows you to do this. Some shimano models have a system that supposedly changes bite point but it really doesn't work as advertised. Avid/SRAM have a functional bite point adjust depending on brake model.
Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!

I put a 50mm stem on my 2014 Trance 1 and it made a world of difference, I dreaded riding it until I made the one small change.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009576
Mobile Version of Website