Help about Whistler Basics for a first timer!

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Help about Whistler Basics for a first timer!
  • Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 13:58 Quote
Hello!

I am from Brazil, and my first trip to Whistler will be in July this year! I will spend 41 days at the village with two more friends.

What is the cheapest way to get from Vancouver International to Whistler?

Is it worth it to spend a few nights in Vancouver to know the city and buy a bike? (Cheaper than in Whistler, or used)

At the moment I am trying to rent a place to stay, but everything is so expensive in the village...

Is it worth it to stay in Creekside instead of the village? I would like to ride the bike park AND enjoy the night life in Whistler. Can I ride the whole bike park from the lift at Creekside? Are there any buses running from Creekside and back where I can take bikes, or come back at night?

I will be there only with my downhill bike, so pedalling to the village from Creekside is probably a bad idea, mainly because I would need to pedal back after a day in the park.

TLDR;

Creekside or the Village? (On a tight budget)

Thanks a lot!

Caio

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 19:27 Quote
Caiokv wrote:
Hello!

I am from Brazil, and my first trip to Whistler will be in July this year! I will spend 41 days at the village with two more friends.

What is the cheapest way to get from Vancouver International to Whistler?

Is it worth it to spend a few nights in Vancouver to know the city and buy a bike? (Cheaper than in Whistler, or used)

At the moment I am trying to rent a place to stay, but everything is so expensive in the village...

Is it worth it to stay in Creekside instead of the village? I would like to ride the bike park AND enjoy the night life in Whistler. Can I ride the whole bike park from the lift at Creekside? Are there any buses running from Creekside and back where I can take bikes, or come back at night?

I will be there only with my downhill bike, so pedalling to the village from Creekside is probably a bad idea, mainly because I would need to pedal back after a day in the park.

TLDR;

Creekside or the Village? (On a tight budget)

Thanks a lot!

Caio

The village would be way better, but creekside isn't bad but no uplift from there so you'd have to ride to village - 20 mins or so I think tho I've never tried on a DH. There is a bus from Downtown to Whistler. Id stay in Van a bit - get your bikes here for sure before heading up. Try vrbo.com to rent a place - you may find luck renting privately.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 1:28 Quote
Guess I am staying on the village! I got a studio on Alpenglow. Got it for 60 CAD per night (41 nights). Is it worth it? The price seems very good!
Any tips on a place to stay in Vancouver? Or on witch shop would be better to get the bikes?

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 10:11 Quote
Caiokv wrote:
Guess I am staying on the village! I got a studio on Alpenglow. Got it for 60 CAD per night (41 nights). Is it worth it? The price seems very good!
Any tips on a place to stay in Vancouver? Or on witch shop would be better to get the bikes?

yes I think that's in upper village on Slope of Blackcomb. Ive stayed there - its great. Nice pool and hot tub and bike storage. That's a great price.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 10:14 Quote
bigredride wrote:
Caiokv wrote:

yes I think that's in upper village on Slope of Blackcomb. Ive stayed there - its great. Nice pool and hot tub and bike storage. That's a great price.

Great to know! It is hard to rent a place without a review that is not from the renting website...

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 14:54 Quote
Alpenglow is near market place in the village, I think the other guy is thinking of the aspens. The bike shops in Whistler are awesome

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 15:28 Quote
So I heard, but I was also told they are quite a bit more expensive tho... The whole trip is being made on a tight budget, in order to stay in whistler as long as possible, so any way to lower the costs is welcome!

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 20:05 Quote
Make sure you have bike storage sorted. The condo owner/mgmt company might not be stoked seeing multiple DH bikes rolling into their suites daily, see if they have secured storage for you.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 8:49 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Make sure you have bike storage sorted. The condo owner/mgmt company might not be stoked seeing multiple DH bikes rolling into their suites daily, see if they have secured storage for you.

Well, the owner said that the condo has an underground bike storage cage, but a few friends told me that those are not the safest option, since it is easy to steal the bikes from the cage. My friends who have been to Whistler recommended to keep the bikes locked to the balcony, but as you said the owner won't like it a bit.

Is bike theft from the condos such a big issue? It is not something I would expect to happen in Whistler!

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 15:53 Quote
It is a huge issue. Two of my friends had their bikes stolen out of a condo storage within the first couple days they moved in.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 1, 2015 at 3:27 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
It is a huge issue. Two of my friends had their bikes stolen out of a condo storage within the first couple days they moved in.

I am really afraid of that happening...
I may risk getting charged a few bucks for any eventual damage to the condo and keep the bikes on the balcony, it would really suck to finally get to Whistler and don't have a bike to ride there!

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 1, 2015 at 14:35 Quote
Caiokv wrote:
kevin267 wrote:

I may risk getting charged a few bucks for any eventual damage to the condo and keep the bikes on the balcony, it would really suck to finally get to Whistler and don't have a bike to ride there!

Do NOT store nice bikes in those storage cages. If your balcony is high enough, chain the bikes together out there, otherwise find some cardboard (to protect the floor) and lean the bikes against the wall (put a sock/gloves on the bars so you don't scratch the walls). As long as you do not damage you will probably get away without any issues.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 1, 2015 at 16:12 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Caiokv wrote:
kevin267 wrote:

Do NOT store nice bikes in those storage cages. If your balcony is high enough, chain the bikes together out there, otherwise find some cardboard (to protect the floor) and lean the bikes against the wall (put a sock/gloves on the bars so you don't scratch the walls). As long as you do not damage you will probably get away without any issues.

Thanks for the advice! I intend to get a Wilson 2015 when I arrive, so I will probably keep it inside... The condo is on the second floor, it is not that hard to get up there I guess.

Posted: Mar 11, 2015 at 21:17 Quote
Dude! I am so jealous! I'm going to be doing my first whistler trip this summer! August 9-15.. Not as cool as your 41 days but I'm still pretty stoked..

I'm staying in Creekside.. I'll just have to bike in I guess.. But it will be worth it!!

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 12, 2015 at 1:09 Quote
I biked from creek side. It's really not that big of a deal. A 10-15 min bike ride followed by a full day of chairlifts? Easy.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014339
Mobile Version of Website