Want To Start MTB And Want To Get A Second Hand Bike

PB Forum :: Beginners
Want To Start MTB And Want To Get A Second Hand Bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 12:51 Quote
Ok So I Want To Start MTB And I Want To Buy A Second Hand Bike But My Mother Wont Agree Because She Thinks If Its Second Hand Then It will break easily or already broken she wants to buy a bike that is brand new but i want to get a second hand one since people good bikes at a cheaper price what can i do to get her to buy me a second hand one budget is around 300

Posted: Feb 5, 2015 at 6:58 Quote
Both points of view seem valid. The right choice for you might depend on your level of mechanical knowledge.

You can certainly get a better used bike for $300 than you are likely to find new. However it is very easy for even an overall good condition $300 used bike to turn into a $400-500 bike in a hurry if you have to replace anything - and jump up even higher if you have to pay a bike shop to repair it.

A new bike won't surprise you with worn out break pads, tires, driveline components, leaky fork seals or rusty bearings.... You could easily spend another $300 getting your used bike tuned up.

On the other hand, a $300 new bike may have parts that aren't repairable, will wear out faster and may not work as well.

Maybe check out bikesdirect for some budget bikes with better parts than you are likely to find locally for $300. A used bike from a bike store might also be a good choice.

Also, what kind of bike are you looking to buy? It will be a lot riskier to try and buy a $300 used DH rig than a $300 single-speed BMX.

If you've got the skills and tools to fix up a bike, then a used $300 bike probably offers much better value. If you don't, a new bike might be a better choice for now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007440
Mobile Version of Website