POD Suggestions *PLEASE READ FIRST PAGE FOR RULES*

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
POD Suggestions *PLEASE READ FIRST PAGE FOR RULES*
Posted: Aug 17, 2015 at 8:59 Quote
Hey Matt,
It's my first time that i'm posting here, I'm 15 years old from Israel, and i'm photographer over Two years.
Hope you like..

Amir send this whip over the road gap on his 13 birthday ride.

All Rights Reserved To - Alon Shem Tov

photo

Posted: Aug 17, 2015 at 21:02 Quote
Any feedback is appreciated.. Cheers!

Dank shore

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 15:25 Quote
Thanks for the feedback Matt

Posted: Aug 20, 2015 at 5:10 Quote
Hi Matt, any feedback is welcome!

For the first time we were biking IN the mountain
Wink
A ride in a cave in the middle of Austria. You can vote for the picture in the VAUDEVisions Contest http www.vaudevisions.com contest gallery-photo-contest detail riding-the-cave

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 18:41 Quote
How about this beauty?

photo

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 25, 2015 at 2:56 Quote
@ldhbaker I'm not sure why this photo is in here - do you wish to nominate it, or do you want feedback?

@CoffeeHouseMedia I am very impressed by your recent gallery - your work shows a definite improvement from your previous stuff. For your first shot, I much prefer your colour shots to this in B&W. The colour alternates of this angle are really nicely processed, striking a very fine and difficult to achieve balance between brightness, contrast and lightness of touch, where the B&W feels somewhat over-processed (as does the crash photo). I really like the composition, putting the rider in the centre of the frame is not easy to do, but it works well here and helps give a sense of scale to the terrain. However, this shot, https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12566527/ Yeah... For me this is the one - with the tiny rider dropping into that huge cliff. This is a great photo and keep an eye on POD. As for the second one, I think it's well-processed, well-timed and I like where the rider is placed in the frame. For me it needs a bit more trail, a line running through the shot to give trajectory as it's a bit static as it is right now. Also, the action isn't particularly dramatic.

@Heimata I don't know if this is our shot and do you want to nominate it or ask for feedback?

@axcooper You have committed one of the cardinal sins for me - adjusted the aspect ratio of the shots. This is one of my my personal pet hates - I don't think a photographer should adjust the ratio of a shot - that is something for art eds and designers to do only. The first shot is well-thought out, I like the reflections. However the action is a bit meh and the shot is too dark - it needs to be a stop or so brighter at least. After that, it is hard to know what to make of the composition because the shot has been cropped so heavily. With the second shot I like the idea here, the rider standing out amidst the sea of flowers, however this one is rather underprocessed and the riders position is terrible - he looks really awkward. Also, a green shirt in a sea of green was not a good combination. And for the final shot I like the idea here, I think you are working on the right lines and the exposure on the sky is great, for me that is the most important element to get right in a shot like this. However, the foreground is again a bit too dark, I really feel like I need to see the dark line of the trail running through that lovely, golden grass and the trees needs to be set vertical. Have you cropped this shot in? It feels squeezed in, it feels very awkward in a very subtle way that completely undoes all the good work you have done here.

@bisiu92 This first shot has nowhere near enough separation between rider and background - it is a very messy shot and my eye gets pulled to the yellow rider behind each time. The subject just does not stand out at all here, I think he may also be a touch too dark - I have to work to differentiate his form. It looks to me like you have taken this photo from standing, which would go a long way to explaining why the composition is so flat - if you were lower down and under the rider he would look more dynamic and it would give your shot more life. In fact this looks to be a reccurring theme throughout your shots, that you are standing trackside and simply pressing the button as the rider passes. If this is indeed what you are doing, it is something I consider lazy and you need to work harder to find interesting angles that will bring the action to life. The panning shot is taken with far too fast a shutter - anything faster than 1/30 is too fast. It looks to me like the action needs to be rotated 5-10 degrees to get the shot vertical (look at the pole trackside, that should be vertical). You also need to pull back somewhat further as this feels too close in. The second and third shots are much the same as the first - for instance in the second the are multiple bright spots that grab my eye to several points in the frame. I also notice that your shutter is 1/500, for WC DH it should be at least at 1/1000 to get sharp action. I also don't think you are processing enough, the shots look a lot like they were taken straight from the camera and there is no depth to the colour in them.

@Milko3D I am following Sams work and he has got some stunning stuff in his profile.

@AlonShemTov You are doing a lot of good things here. I really like the first shot, it's not quite a POD, but it is good. I like the separation you have between the rider and the background, the action is great and the processing is ok (looking at your uploads since you posted this, I think you have improved and your more recent shots are that bit better). What I would like to see for this shot is some framing, maybe using some foreground to present the action, that is all I think is missing for a POD here. The second is ok, it would sit well in most race reports, but it's not strong enough to stand on its own. I think your processing isn't quite as good here, it lacks the punch of some your other shots, but it is a decent, solid shot. For me this is the weakest of your three - to get a shot like this you need a wide lens, in my view. On a full-frame sensor you would want 16mm or a fisheye, on a crop sensor maybe even as wide as 10mm or a fisheye. Here is it just explosion and nothing else, and it isn't helped that nothing really is in focus here.

@rominasch I love this shot. It's not quite perfect, I would like to see the rider slightly closer to the third line, the horizon straightened a bit and maybe a little bit more of the trees above to balance the frame. That said, I think it's wonderfully exposed, perfectly processed and aside from those details I mention above, a great composition. Also, I know that it cannot have been easy to shoot in such dark woodland with the 5Dmkii and to get such impressive results it great. I think you should probably keep an eye on POD.

@martinfueloep If I am honest, this frame feels like a slightly wasted opportunity to me - I think there was more that could be done with the location. I think not enough is made of those incredible ice shapes, the rider is a bit too central and not perfectly exposed - one side is much brighter than the other, there is a very noticeable bright spot on the wall behind the rider and I would like to see it processed a little more to add some punch. That said, looking at your gallery - this is wonderful: https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12581576/ And that is going in the POD list - it is a much stronger shot in my opinion, better composed, better processed and the light is stunning.

@nakos Thanks for nominating this.

Posted: Aug 25, 2015 at 5:42 Quote
@ matt: thank's for your input!

Posted: Aug 25, 2015 at 9:55 Quote
@mattwragg I have really been enjoying reading through your honest critiques and the feedback you offer. Thanks for doing this!

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 9:19 Quote
Taken while filming RAWish with Baxter Maiwald hopefully be coming out soon.

What do you reckon Matt, any good?

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 9:30 Quote
@mossa Yes and no is the honest answer. Composition is good, although I would ideally want to see the trail exiting the frame. Processing is good, the rider looks pretty sharp too. The reason this wouldn't be POD is that he is chainsawing the top off the berm and his trajectory looks to be the inside of the curve, not the exit of the corner. I'm not perfect at differentiating, and I love some good roost as much as the next man, but I try and keep POD to legit roost, not this, which for me is a bit fake I'm afraid.

@jackinthebox Thanks for the nomination.

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 at 2:21 Quote
mattwragg wrote:

@gladiax87 The first one is a solid shot, nicely processed, well-framed, I like the rider moving from the darkness into the light. You've also clearly worked on the position you are shooting from, looked for a perspective which is good to see. The second doesn't work for me at all, it's just too dark. Your eye is drawn to the plants highlighted in the bottom left, not the rider - there simply isn't enough light on the rider. Also, for me the composition lacks movement - there is no trajectory for the ride, just a dark shape amidst other dark shapes.

@mattwragg Thank you for the feedback ! Do you think the first shot it's acceptable for POD ?

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 at 10:19 Quote
@mattwragg thanks a lot for your comments !! work into the direction that you has told me!!

Posted: Aug 29, 2015 at 8:31 Quote
Would like your feedback on these
photo

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 29, 2015 at 9:08 Quote
jkarlsson wrote:
Would like your feedback on these

One thing I would say is that (in the second photo) make sure to not cut off any of the rider's head next time. That is one of the things that I think Matt has said before about other photos.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.058685
Mobile Version of Website