Canyon shape shifter

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Canyon shape shifter
Posted: Mar 21, 2016 at 2:36 Quote
alnavasa wrote:
Got mine replaced at the oficial Canyon store, works perfectly.
Also heard that it is not good to hit any jump/bump with the bike in XC mode, because XC mode its not designed to receive any hard forces which may cause the SS to recibe the pressure of the sock resulting on a damaged unit.

That sounds correct. There was a conversation about it in the previous pages on how the SS takes the forces in different stages of the suspension cycle.

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 at 11:10 Quote
I found this thread today, this video might be of your interest.

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 at 6:27 Quote
Fitted my new 2016 ss last week and done a good ride on it, so far so good.
Easy to fit, only hard bit was removing the unit off the shaft it mounts onto, a bit of wiggling and pulling and it eventually came off. As with everything else on the bike like bb and headset it looks like canyon assembly team have never heard of grease!!

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 at 7:41 Quote
markricho wrote:
Fitted my new 2016 ss last week and done a good ride on it, so far so good.
Easy to fit, only hard bit was removing the unit off the shaft it mounts onto, a bit of wiggling and pulling and it eventually came off. As with everything else on the bike like bb and headset it looks like canyon assembly team have never heard of grease!!

Not defending Canyon but unfortunately all other manufacturers are like that. Better to take even a new bike apart and grease it properly.

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 3:02 Quote
LoganRory-314 wrote:
I have been lucky enough to receive my 2016 SS but when I try to shift from DH to XC it takes such a long time and so by the time my weight is on the back wheel again it has hardly moved. Has anyone else had this problem?
Cheers!

I got exactly the same issue.
Just ordered the Strive bearing extraction tool E234-15.

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 4:08 Quote
[Quote="alnavasa"]Got mine replaced at the oficial Canyon store, works perfectly.
Also heard that it is not good to hit any jump/bump with the bike in XC mode, because XC mode its not designed to receive any hard forces which may cause the SS to recibe the pressure of the sock resulting on a damaged unit.

Really?..i'd be suprised if the design couldnt cope in xc mode (and Canyon would be swapping 2016 ss on a regular basis ) Any evidence of this?

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 8:21 Quote
[Quote="oysterkite"]
alnavasa wrote:

Really?..i'd be suprised if the design couldnt cope in xc mode (and Canyon would be swapping 2016 ss on a regular basis ) Any evidence of this?

Go back of pages there was a discussion about this with pictures and you will see why it can be too much to handle jumps for SS in XC mode.

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 13:02 Quote
Poggs38 wrote:
LoganRory-314 wrote:
I have been lucky enough to receive my 2016 SS but when I try to shift from DH to XC it takes such a long time and so by the time my weight is on the back wheel again it has hardly moved. Has anyone else had this problem?
Cheers!

I got exactly the same issue.
Just ordered the Strive bearing extraction tool E234-15.

Have u tried more pressure in it?
I'm running mine at 15bar and seems ok.
Otherwise I guess bearings could be stiff.

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 20:20 Quote
[Quote="bosnianrider"]
oysterkite wrote:
alnavasa wrote:

Go back of pages there was a discussion about this with pictures and you will see why it can be too much to handle jumps for SS in XC mode.

So its really more opinion , rather than evidence?

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 8:00 Quote
[Quote="kane01"]
bosnianrider wrote:
oysterkite wrote:

Forgive me but I won't test it to provide you with evidence by trying to see how many bottom outs can it handle before it blows an O ring. Smile In XC mode the extended SS will take up to 50% of the forces going through the shock for me that's enough evidence so I am using it only on steep climbs when I need the altered geometry.

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 10:45 Quote
kane01 wrote:
bosnianrider wrote:
oysterkite wrote:

Forgive me but I won't test it to provide you with evidence by trying to see how many bottom outs can it handle before it blows an O ring. Smile In XC mode the extended SS will take up to 50% of the forces going through the shock for me that's enough evidence so I am using it only on steep climbs when I need the altered geometry.

I am using it only on flat climbs (or some how flat) but not any bumpy fast climb. If the diagrams on the post are right it gets the 50%, but I wouldn't risk my SS to see if this is true.
Thought the other day I forgot to get into DH mode and had the monarch and the pike locked, I hit a jump and landed it, noticing the suspension was very hard, SS was in perfect condition.

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 10:53 Quote
[Quote="alnavasa"]
bosnianrider wrote:
kane01 wrote:

I am using it only on flat climbs (or some how flat) but not any bumpy fast climb. If the diagrams on the post are right it gets the 50%, but I wouldn't risk my SS to see if this is true.
Thought the other day I forgot to get into DH mode and had the monarch and the pike locked, I hit a jump and landed it, noticing the suspension was very hard, SS was in perfect condition.

I don't think one or two hit will blow it so as long as you don't forget about it regularly and hit big jumps it will be OK. Smile

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 21:34 Quote
[Quote="bosnianrider"]
kane01 wrote:
bosnianrider wrote:

I never asked you to mate . There is no evidence of this happening though. So its just peoples opinion really. Im not trying to be smart . Iv never had it in xc mode yet as iv never got it to work,but i will be giving it thorough test in both modes when i get it back from Canyon .

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 at 12:46 Quote
[Quote="kane01"]
bosnianrider wrote:
kane01 wrote:

I never asked you to mate . There is no evidence of this happening though. So its just peoples opinion really. Im not trying to be smart . Iv never had it in xc mode yet as iv never got it to work,but i will be giving it thorough test in both modes when i get it back from Canyon .

Since XC mode is not a mechanical lock the SS needs to handle the forces which is not really just an opinion it's a fact. How much and for how long can it handle I don't have an answer for that. Smile Mine is working so far and I'm only using it on climbs otherwise I prefer DH mode as I feel the bike is more balanced.

Posted: Apr 15, 2016 at 2:13 Quote
Hi everyone. I've been considering buying a strive for a while now and I've read through this forum seeing all the problems that you've been having. Noticed at the end that the 2016 SS seems to be more popular as most of the problems have probably been fixed by canyon, but do you consider the 2016 SS to be completely fixed? As in no faults or failures?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013865
Mobile Version of Website