Canyon shape shifter

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Canyon shape shifter
Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 13:27 Quote
It's not necessary to "weld" it into DH mode, here is the procedure from Canyon:

"It is possible to continue riding your bike until the replacement unit arrives. This will not cause any damage to your bike. To do this you can lock the shapeshifter in downhill mode:

1.) take the pressure out of the gas spring- using a shock pump on the schraeder valve

2.) release the air from the opposing chamber- open both of the bleeding bolts very slowly as the lubricating oil will also come out and it will be pressurised (wear eye protection and gloves).

3.) pump up the gas spring afterwards. This will pull the piston in and gas spring always stays in DH Mode.

The gas spring will stay without function but it’s safe to ride in this way until you receive replacement.

I recommend only performing these steps if you are confident in cycle maintenance.

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd"

If you want to avoid temptation just remove the lever and cable so you will not switch it incidentally Smile

Posted: Jan 17, 2016 at 0:47 Quote
Still no responce?

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 at 4:39 Quote
I'm now into my 5th month.
I've been promised several dates for delivery the most recent being mid December. When that didn't materialise I called canyon who said the part was in Germany and will be in the UK in 7 to 10 days. That was over 2 weeks ago and now I am again back to the non committal "it will be with you soon".
I am usually a very patient and understanding person but canyons lack of honesty is driving me mad.
If they had told me back in September that there was a major problem and I wouldn't get a new shapeshifter until this year I would have been pi$$ed but I would have accepted it.
Now to add to all of this the Strive CF team came avaliable to buy from stock just a couple of weeks ago!
So it is blatantly obvious to me now that canyon prefer to carry on making money than honoring existing customers warranties.
Very disappointing.

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 at 6:44 Quote
bosnianrider wrote:
It's not necessary to "weld" it into DH mode, here is the procedure from Canyon:

"It is possible to continue riding your bike until the replacement unit arrives. This will not cause any damage to your bike. To do this you can lock the shapeshifter in downhill mode:

1.) take the pressure out of the gas spring- using a shock pump on the schraeder valve

2.) release the air from the opposing chamber- open both of the bleeding bolts very slowly as the lubricating oil will also come out and it will be pressurised (wear eye protection and gloves).

3.) pump up the gas spring afterwards. This will pull the piston in and gas spring always stays in DH Mode.

The gas spring will stay without function but it’s safe to ride in this way until you receive replacement.

I recommend only performing these steps if you are confident in cycle maintenance.

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd"

If you want to avoid temptation just remove the lever and cable so you will not switch it incidentally Smile

Both bleed bolts?

Taking the lever and cable out might not be the best idea, unless you also take out the plunger as you could lose this somewhere, not that you're gunna need it tho is it! Smile

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 at 11:42 Quote
milfhunter wrote:
bosnianrider wrote:

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd"

Both bleed bolts?

Taking the lever and cable out might not be the best idea, unless you also take out the plunger as you could lose this somewhere, not that you're gunna need it tho is it! Smile

There is only one bleed screw which is on the backside of the SS and you have the air valve nothing else.
Yes, if you remove the cable and the lever remove the other stuff that you could lose. Smile

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 at 14:59 Quote
Canyon still did not find ways to fix it .

Now they do not even answer the question, Customers look down here , Ltd. is the first experience .

CANYON have still no solution for the Shapeshifter problems. The function of the shapeshifter is that it can be used to transform and xc mode dh mode. After that failure xc does not turn mode.

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 at 15:05 Quote
Jonlivesey wrote:
I'm now into my 5th month.
I've been promised several dates for delivery the most recent being mid December. When that didn't materialise I called canyon who said the part was in Germany and will be in the UK in 7 to 10 days. That was over 2 weeks ago and now I am again back to the non committal "it will be with you soon".
I am usually a very patient and understanding person but canyons lack of honesty is driving me mad.
If they had told me back in September that there was a major problem and I wouldn't get a new shapeshifter until this year I would have been pi$$ed but I would have accepted it.
Now to add to all of this the Strive CF team came avaliable to buy from stock just a couple of weeks ago!
So it is blatantly obvious to me now that canyon prefer to carry on making money than honoring existing customers warranties.
Very disappointing.

I agree with your opinion .

Posted: Jan 20, 2016 at 12:26 Quote
Darcydiddler wrote:
Got my Strive a few days ago & done 35 miles. My shape shifter didn't seem right. The shape shifter will go into dh mode on the switch but won't return fully into xc mode with the indicator not showing all green, the gas switch isn't fully extending to full reach like it should, the switch should travel 15mm & mine is around 10mm. I've just emailed canyon so I'll have to wait & see.

Alright just been reading the problem with the shape shifter. Iv got the same fault as you,could you explain what part is the gas switch?

Posted: Jan 20, 2016 at 22:19 Quote
is 2016SS still have the same problem? anyone considering build a linkage without SS in it?

Posted: Jan 20, 2016 at 23:57 Quote
Iv read online that the 2016 models haven't got this problem.only the 2015 models have this fault

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 0:00 Quote
Does anyone know what part is the gas switch. Iv read on here it's something to do with that not Releasing it back into xc mode fully

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 2:33 Quote
Oliver, sounds like you need a mechanicWink Wink

I have managed to lock the shapeshifter down into DH mode using the instructions above. The instructions aren't that great though. First, you need to remove the shapeshifter (by following the instructions on that really fast video), that wasn't obvious to me. Then you de-pressurise the schrader valve, then undo both the bleed bolts to let out pressure that's got where it shouldn't be, then do them up again and then pump the schrader back up to about 15 bar and the shaft pulls in. The confusing bit is where the bleed bolts are, there's one either side of the piston, one is quite obvious and is near the schrader valve. the other is in the middle of the yolk in line with the axis. I didn't put the cable back on as I'm guessing that once you press the lever the air pressure will get where it's not meant to be and you will be back in half rice half chips mode.

A friend of mine has end me a goosed shapeshifter to have a mess about with so I'll have a go at stripping it down.

KG

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 2:56 Quote
Il have a go at that then, do you know what the fault is with theses ss would a bleed cure it ?

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 3:04 Quote
You could bleed it and it might work for a few rides but it wont sole the underlying problem. I think the sahpeshifter would soon fail again.

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 8:26 Quote
OliverRavetta wrote:
Il have a go at that then, do you know what the fault is with theses ss would a bleed cure it ?

After I bled it using the Reverb fluid it held up longer than originally and if you'll use a little bit thicker hyrdaulic oil it might be even better but no guarantee. Anyways, it worth a try because it's a very simple procedure and there are enough tutorials. If you ever bled a hydraulic brake then just go for it as it's much easier. Go back couple of pages I posted some links to the tutorials.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036134
Mobile Version of Website