Jump Park Design Software

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Jump Park Design Software
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 23, 2015 at 13:35 Quote
Anyone know of user friendly design software for laying out a parcel with a dirt jump park and parking lot and buildings etc. Something like the valmont bike park map

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 at 17:46 Quote
Yes I would like to know of one too

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 4:24 Quote
resqd1 wrote:
Anyone know of user friendly design software for laying out a parcel with a dirt jump park and parking lot and buildings etc. Something like the valmont bike park map

Are you looking for a design software (Autocad / Civil 3D)

Are you looking for a 3D viz software (3D Max / Sketch-Up)

Are you looking for a graphic software to create a user map (Adobe Illustrator)

Posted: Mar 11, 2015 at 18:32 Quote
photo

Something like these two

photo

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 at 12:56 Quote
I used Google SketchUp (free) back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Uird_dh9Q

RIP Lafayette bike park project:
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3736297/

Posted: Apr 2, 2015 at 16:55 Quote
resqd1 wrote:
photo

Something like these two

photo

Rad "drawing" !

I definitely need to learn the software. I ain't gonna lie though, I kinda hate it when people think pretty drawings will work in real life just because the designs on paper (or screen) look great. It's almost like I'd rather just build it in the field, then do the drawings afterwards. You never know whether things are going to work exactly right until you're there. Always build a section and test ride it and tweak it before doing the next section. At the end, if things need tweaking, then do it. Never build exactly to paper or computer specifications!

Unfortunately, government types often need "plans" in order to approve things. So, always make it clear that the drawings are just a starting point and not exact dimensions and spacing.

I think contractors who are in the business of doing this all the time CAN present exact designs, because they're copying things they have already built in real life. Still, though, even slight gradient changes can throw off how a pump track or jumps feel. I have some encountered some horrible expensive examples of this. The contractor fell back on "well, that's what was agreed to and approved" and left town. Not cool.

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2015 at 5:11 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
I definitely need to learn the software. I ain't gonna lie though, I kinda hate it when people think pretty drawings will work in real life just because the designs on paper (or screen) look great. It's almost like I'd rather just build it in the field, then do the drawings afterwards. You never know whether things are going to work exactly right until you're there. Always build a section and test ride it and tweak it before doing the next section. At the end, if things need tweaking, then do it. Never build exactly to paper or computer specifications!

Unfortunately, government types often need "plans" in order to approve things. So, always make it clear that the drawings are just a starting point and not exact dimensions and spacing.

I think contractors who are in the business of doing this all the time CAN present exact designs, because they're copying things they have already built in real life. Still, though, even slight gradient changes can throw off how a pump track or jumps feel. I have some encountered some horrible expensive examples of this. The contractor fell back on "well, that's what was agreed to and approved" and left town. Not cool.

This is why it's called a concept drawing, not a detailed plan. One should not expect to see measures on something like this. All detailed plans are still CAD file with very precises measures, curves rates, elevation, etc. We now design all our BMX and bike park with Civil3D. Imagine an AutoCad package where you can play with the elevation and it calculate all the volumes automatically based on grade, soil type, landscaping, utilities, etc. Also, this kind of files works with robotic station so surveying needs are much different.

If you hire a pro, the plan will *always* work when implemented in the field. A pro knows the rules that make a jump works every single time, but also know when you can break the rules. There's a lot of good builder out there, very few pro designer.

Posted: Apr 3, 2015 at 8:20 Quote
. . .
Yes, I should have been more clear. I know the difference between concept plans and detailed plans.

I respect all trail builders who do great work. A track record of successful bike parks is key.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010459
Mobile Version of Website