Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 8:23 Quote
Ooops.
Just looked closer.
Mine are HT Aeo1's
Maybe its been three years.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 8:31 Quote
caboose wrote:
Xb the lady friend has the ht aeo3's on all of her bikes and she loves them. As for the weight without pedals, I'll get right in that for you. Sub 26.5lbs with xtr clips ;-P

Flogopogo, 8g would buy me a lot of car parts. Be more fun too...
Thanks shred! Hope this bike rips lol

You never answered the question if your keeping that FOX on there? The new Fox's sound like great forks. XB will give you a used Pike and you give me $200 cash in return with your fork.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 9:29 Quote
That garbage fox feels pretty nice. X-mtnbiker I already have a pike...

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 9:52 Quote
Have been really pleased with my Straitline Amp pedals so far on my lil' bike, they are a nice grippy platform but aren't too grippy so you can still make adjustments. Have held up well and spin like the day I got them, although I must admit I don't have a lot of miles on them yet.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 9:56 Quote
How about KMC 11 SPD chains? Any good? They are making nice looking light ones in black color, to match every single bike nowadays which is black on black... They say they fit SRAM & Shiftwrongo. ...

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 11:07 Quote
I ran KMC 10spd gold chains for a few seasons, never had any issues. No idea about the 11spd.

Edit- also on pedals, do not buy the xtr clipless. Known issue, the bolt head breaks off on the inside, and the body comes off the spindle. I had one come off, stuck to my shoe this fall in Utah. Try riding all of hymasa/captain ahab with just a 1/2" metal spike on one side...

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 13:24 Quote
Was that the 9000?^^^ not flat pedal clip less? Was thinking of getting some. Light and low pro. Maybe too much?

Also had gold 10spd kms sl. Worked fine. Shifts worked didn't break. I think the sl stands for slightly lighter as in 8 or 9 grams. Weighed in comparison to x9 level SRAM chain. At twice the price, I just buy cheap SRAM chains. Always have a spare and change it twice a yr. much cheaper than replacing cassettes and me rings

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 15:25 Quote
won-sean-animal-chin wrote:
Was that the 9000?^^^ not flat pedal clip less? Was thinking of getting some. Light and low pro. Maybe too much?

Also had gold 10spd kms sl. Worked fine. Shifts worked didn't break. I think the sl stands for slightly lighter as in 8 or 9 grams. Weighed in comparison to x9 level SRAM chain. At twice the price, I just buy cheap SRAM chains. Always have a spare and change it twice a yr. much cheaper than replacing cassettes and me rings

Ya but bro these chains come in all black :

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://kmcchain.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/X11SL-DLC-Black-262x240.jpg
Or all black and red:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://kmcchain.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/X11SL-DLC-Red-262x240.jpg
also available in blue / green, like come'on those are sweet looking, the black and red chain would sure match that new Trek 9.9 just purrrrfectly

http://kmcchain.us/chain/x11sl-dlcred/

XB calls BS on just slightly lighter that a mid to high end SRAM chain, I have run tons of SRAM changes, i put on one of these SL chains from KMC and it seems waay lighter in the hand test. I did not weigh so I cant confirm tho.

The KMC 10 spds XB has had seem kinda loose and sloppy sorta, just a lot of slop in the links compared to SRAM / Shiftwrongo.. Also they are noisy as hell unless they are heavily lubed all the time... XB went Shitmano Dura-Boss on his last chain, and that thing is super solid and quiet as hell... Seems to shift better even... KMC's for sure snap less than SRAM chains though, those things snap constantly... Dura-Boss FTW... There is only 2 things that are good that Shiftloudo makes: Chains and Cassettes... The rest is junk. Their brakes feel alright if you like constantly skidding, but their quality isn't there... they blow up too easy.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 15:42 Quote
Cranks. SRAM is 3rd in cranks. Rf and shimano for cranks. Scared to go back to avids. Slx set and forget. Haven't had problems w SRAM chains. Run them since they were Sachs sedis. Occasionally used to break shimano chains. Didn't notice the things you say about kms either(not to say it is untrue just never exp it). I guessed at weight difference but I did weigh/compare. A few grams isn't worth $25-30. They do look cool though. Planning on winning the loto tonight so fack ya KMC is the shit. Do it man

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 17:28 Quote

photo

Had 2 sets, both developed same problem. Too bad because until they exploded, they worked really well.

+1 on the RF cranks, but not so much the older ones with the carbon spider. I got a set of SixC direct mount cranks on warranty after exploding the spider on the last set. Instant catastrophic failure. Not long after the start of a 40 km 7,000 ft shuttle drop. Good thing it was mostly downhill, lots of rhythm sections. I doubt I`ll have any issues with this new set, the direct mount looks pretty indestructable. RF great to deal with for warranty.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 17:52 Quote
Damn. Ya stitches waiting to happen. I was looking at the ones without the platform but basically the same. Same yr. too bad. Their pedals have always been indestructible .
Like to get new rf cranks (sixc or next sl) with that dm and big axle. Curious if they'll wear or stretch if they're removed numerous times. Soo light and stiff. Haven't looked up close. Shimano system is great for staying tight or removing multiple times

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 18:01 Quote
Damn. Ya stitches waiting to happen. I was looking at the ones without the platform but basically the same. Same yr. too bad. Their pedals have always been indestructible .
Like to get new rf cranks (sixc or next sl) with that dm and big axle. Curious if they'll wear or stretch if they're removed numerous times. Soo light and stiff. Haven't looked up close. Shimano system is great for staying tight or removing multiple times

Why not just get Shit-wrongo cranks then??... The SLX cranks are amazing for the price, and just go up the food chain if you want lighter. Race Face cranks looks super hokey if you ask me. XB running xx1 cranks this year... he hates SRAM's interface, stoopid system.. All dependant on 1 bolt being ridiculous tight, torque specs are crazy, Hard to get on and off. That new Hope crank system that PB.com is advertising like crazy looks extra hokey... All kinds of stuff going on with that system. Shimano cranks FTW, unless something else comes on the beater you buy.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 18:02 Quote
Doubt they would wear or stretch. The cinch system is actually pretty good, you install the cranks and use a tensioner ring built in to take out any possible play. Fast easy and tight.. just like the right girl!
The only drawback I can see is that you need *another* BB tool, the BB30 tool for 35mm axles. It's almost identical to the standard shimano tool, but with less notches. Really RF?? Last thing I need is another BB tool.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 19:54 Quote
xb I have had good experiences with the wellgo/blackspire/v sixty mg1 pedals. Light, cheap and I am still using the same set after 5 years without losing any pins (!!). Mag construction so maybe not too durable unless you swear off crashing...

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 20:03 Quote
Had the HT AE03s. Good pedal, but in my case seemed to require frequent rebuild (well, 2 a season). Nice and flat. Took a beating for 2 years without complaining, although stuff got quite worn. Good pins for AM.

Now running RF Atlas. Great looking pedal. Take a reasonable beating. Needed a bearing rebuild kit after 1 season. Big bearings were thrashed! Also developed some play from new that I only noticed grinding up long fire road climbs. Terrifying pins. Completely trashed my shins when I miscalculated that rough little descent by the hang glider launch on Big Ed. Seriously, the gouges were to the bone.

I have heard good things about the Spank Spikes too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015195
Mobile Version of Website